Hosted by Darren Baker
Murphy's Law of Kitbashing
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 462 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 12:59 PM UTC
I recently read this in a book I recently bought "about the time you paint an extensive and begin to apply decal's, a kit will be announced" and thought it be interesting to see how many laws thier actually are.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 05:59 PM UTC
Yup, it has happened many times to me...

Scratch-build it , and they will come...in kit form

Also, when you rebuild a lost piece, you will then find said lost peice, every time.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2008 - 08:57 PM UTC
When you buy that rotten old kit because that's all there is, someone in the Far East will release a good one.

When you bite the bullet and buy the resin kit because that's all there is, someone in the Far East will release a good one and charge one-fifth of the price of the resin kit.

The more you want something different, the more likely it is that the latest new kit will be something German.

The longer you've waited for a vehicle to come out in kit form, the more vitriolically it will be criticised when it does eventually come out. And you will still pay handsomely for it.

The more important it is not to get stray paint on a part, and the more care you take to achieve that, the more likely it is that you'll put your finger in some wet paint that you hadn't noticed and ...

The more inaccurate the part / seam / profile, the harder it will be to get at to correct it.

The closer you are to completion, the greater the chance that you'll knock a whole bottle of something unpleasant over it.

The more you like a colour scheme, the more inauthentic it will turn out to be.

The more effort you put into a kit, the greater the chance that, towards the end, you'll find something vital on a corner of your workbench that absolutely must be included but you can only install by sawing the kit in half and hoping no-one spots the join.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, it has happened many times to me...

Scratch-build it , and they will come...in kit form

Also, when you rebuild a lost piece, you will then find said lost peice, every time.

Indeed, those both are so true.
Also, it seems the process of kits appearing will happens exactly at the same rate you manage to build the best one currently on the market. You scratch-build something -> a horrendously expensive, crude limited run kit appears. You build that and a better short-run offering surfaces. And finally, at the end of the process, we may see the day when a mainstream manufacturer comes up with a modern state-of-the-art kit.
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
So true. I've had the wind go completely out of my sails when some extensive kitbash I was working on was made superfluous or redundant by a new kit. Such as a Serbian T-34/85 kitbashed from the Tamiya kit and lo and behold, out comes that Dragon NVA T-34/85. Or more recently, my Tamiya Panther and FM Models Schmalturm conversion similarly undone by the Cyber-Hobby Panther F. And I'd also started a Tamiya Tunisian Tiger that was halted when the C-H kit came out.

So, would you guys kind of step it up with your resin Panther IIs and E-50s? I want those kits in styrene.

Thanks in advance.
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 08:17 AM UTC
YUP, i`d definately have to agree with the comments made but also have a cardinal one to add myself --
DAYS AFTER YOU FINISH A KIT AN AFTERMARKET PRODUCER WILL RELEASE AN ETCH SET FOR IT !!
I can personally atest to this one with my BR 52 locomotive with it`s almost bare cabin.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
if you think thats bad, try haveing your last name be "Murphy"

THEN talk to me about bad luck!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 02:06 PM UTC
Just when you´ve made that decision to buy no more kits, something is released that is a "must-have".

When you have a cool idea on how to finish or present a model ... images turn up where somebody beat you to it.

The more you know about a certain vehicle, the longer it takes to build said vehicle.

You´ve spent a life time perfecting a kit, including every last detail .. got the perfect paint job complete ... when new images turn up and you´ve missed some critical pieces.

You´ve followed instructions to the T, and end up with tracks facing the wrong way, certain left and right pieces mixed up and another upside down.

You´ve spent an hour researching a subject to reply to a friends question online, and when its posted 3 people have already answered.

You´ve been so busy writing your post, you forgot about that "deal" on Ebay and the bargin that had only 1 bid, went somewhere else.

You write a reply, review, post with 1000 words and the computer freezes and lose the lot!

Mr. Murphy ... you have a lot to answer for!
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The more you know about a certain vehicle, the longer it takes to build said vehicle.

You´ve spent a life time perfecting a kit, including every last detail .. got the perfect paint job complete ... when new images turn up and you´ve missed some critical pieces.

You´ve followed instructions to the T, and end up with tracks facing the wrong way, certain left and right pieces mixed up and another upside down.

That's the damn truth. I remember when I first got into the hobby a couple years ago I was building kits left and right, at least a kit a week. Now I'm lucky to get a kit done in two months. There's always something that needs to be fixed or added. I don't know when to stop sometimes.
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 08:12 PM UTC
For me, Col Murphy's law of modeling is something like this: the tiny, essential, virtually-impossible-to-replicate piece from my previous build for which I spent hours on the floor searching in vain will invariably turn up while I am on the floor searching for a piece from my current build (which will not turn up)

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:21 PM UTC
However many times you measure something and check it while you are scratchbuilding it, the thing can still come out 3mm too short when you try to install the finished part.

After delaying a project for years because you don’t have enough information to finish it, you are then presented with the opportunity to examine the real thing in detail and find that you then have too much information to finish it as you’d always be dissatisfied with the amount of detail that you were able to incorporate.

Capillary action works best when you spill solvent on the workbench and there are some parts whose design would be almost impossible to scratchbuild in the way of the flood.

Waiting until the people who bought new kits when they appeared so that they could brag about them at the club realise that they will never build them and sell them on is a good way to acquire kits that you will probably never build yourself but which at least you didn’t pay retail for them.

It’s cheaper to buy plastic kits for loft insulation than resin ones, as the boxes are bigger so they take up more space for the price you pay for them. On the other hand, many rein kit boxes contain Styrofoam peanuts and the like, which have insulating properties of their own. This needs further research, as almost every paper I have ever read tends to conclude.

After concluding after years of research that by now nobody knows more about the obscure subject you are building than you do, you put it on the table at a show and along comes the bloke who designed, built or crewed it and tells you where the real thing differed from your educated guesswork.

As soon as you get a modern wargames unit ready to use, the situation will change radically and cause it to be obsolete; it happened when I finished painting a Soviet T-64 battalion (the USSR collapsed) and when I scratchbuilt the sole Mike class SSN (it sank).
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 13, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC
Good ones. I saw someone else mention that CA glue always takes extra time to set when you have to hold a piece in a very awkward position, but sets instantly when you don't get the piece in quite the right spot on the first attempt.

SpeedyJ
Visit this Community
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
Armorama: 1,150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 - 12:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For me, Col Murphy's law of modeling is something like this: the tiny, essential, virtually-impossible-to-replicate piece from my previous build for which I spent hours on the floor searching in vain will invariably turn up while I am on the floor searching for a piece from my current build (which will not turn up)

Have several builds on your workingbench could be a wise lesson.

Cheers,

RJ
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Have several builds on your workingbench could be a wise lesson.

Cheers,

RJ

I wonder if my wife will accept that...

I also recently noticed my carpet has the unusual property of being able to mimic the color of whatever piece I drop...

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 03:52 AM UTC
Or losing a SD Card that you use solely to take pictures of your builds and buying a new one with the highest capacity, best security, and a very high price only to find the one you previously used laying in the same spot you know you left it where you checked 15 times before.
Namabiiru
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Or losing a SD Card that you use solely to take pictures of your builds and buying a new one with the highest capacity, best security, and a very high price only to find the one you previously used laying in the same spot you know you left it where you checked 15 times before.

Does that mean you finally found it, or you are just surrendering to the inevitable?

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 10:56 AM UTC
I was wodering the same thing, but at least you now have two.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:35 PM UTC
I haven't found it yet. But I am surrendering to the inevitable. It happens everytime. When you lose something and order a new piece, you find the first one in the most obvious spot that you have already checke a few times.

And I actually have more than 2 SD cards. I have 5 +some that I may also lost. And 3 Micro SD cards including the one I lost. Not much compared to some but it is a few.

And now I'm off to use a different card to picture a completed build for a campaign.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, May 16, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
Yeah, I think I'm safe mostly scratchbuilding a Bergepanther Ausf G, as there's so much unique moulding that none of the mainstream manufacturers will ever release one, until, that is, I start mine!

I have a solution to the problem of invisible small pieces on the floor (concrete in my case) and that is to let my two year old grandson loose in the garage where I model, and within ten seconds of entering the room, his eagle eyes will spot the missing piece!

Just an aside, for those who might be wondering as to who was Murphy?

In the early days of the space race (late 40s early 50s), the US were doing a lot of research into acceleration and deceleration using rocket powered sleds. These had a host of electrical connections on the back for all the measuring equipment carried by the sled, which all had to be connected in precisely the right order.

One Captain Edward R Murphy, US Air Force, one day made the comment "If there's a wrong way to connect these, somebody will find it", which within days was being quoted as Murphy's Law. He died only a few years ago.

As for kits being used as loft fillers - here in Australia the roof spaces can reach temperatures of well over 50C, which, trust me, is not good for plastic or resin!

Regards

Rob
 _GOTOTOP