_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon 1/72 Sherman tracks, not very good?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 07:03 PM UTC
I'm building a Dragon 1/72 Sherman tank. I think the kit is excellent except the tracks are adequate at best. They have the general texture of the chevrons but I really don't see a lot of detail. Is there a better aftermarket source of etched metal or plastic link tracks? BTW, I am building a Dragon 1/72 Tiger II and plan to buy the newest Panther with crew when it comes out. How about aftermarket tracks for those?
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2008 - 11:39 PM UTC
There is not a lot of choice for aftermarket really. The issue with Sherman tracks is the various types used and getting a match from another manufacturer in say link and length is difficult. Eduard do a fine Sherman series and ExtraTECH a fine M10 and Achilles if you want to look at that option. You might be lucky with PE aftermarket but I consider PE tracks too thin even at 1:72.

For the Tiger and Panther you would be in more luck with the Revell kits and they provide link and length. Some review links for the Revell Tiger and Panther

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mike

Bleusaille
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
There are some other ways for 1/72 sherman tracks :
Mirage from poland sales différents tracks for the M3 Lee which are OK for the Sherman.They are in "vinyl"
Modeltrans from Germany sales resin tracks T54 E2 With "duckbill"
MR Model also from germany sales 4 differents resin tracks for sherman

All are easyer to built than the PE Tracks and look better
All are available by Tracks and Troops where I'm only a customer

http://www.tracks-n-troops.com/shop/

Regards

La bleusaille
 _GOTOTOP