_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Eastern Express BMD-2 in progress
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 06:27 AM UTC
This is Eastern Express BMD-2 kit in 1/35 scale. I used Eduard's PE set, Masterclub BMD tracks and a Modelpoint 30MM chaingun and Russian antenna pot with it. The kit leaves alot to be desired in some ares, especially the fit of the upper hull to the lower hull and filler had to be added to the areas where the MG ports on the hull...I had to super glue the two together since the upper hull was warped so bad. Overall the kit was ok, with the fine detailing lacking say vs a Tamiya or Dragon kit.

The weldlines are .10 rod with an engraving tool to make welds. They are a bit overdone, but I bought the engraving tool a while ago and haven't used yet so I wanted to try it out. The tarp on the turret is made of some epoxy sculpt or similar item, temporarily placed on the turret. I also used two part epoxy putty to rebuild the bulge on the turret since it didn't seem like it was shaped properly vs photos I have.

I'm planning on finishing the model in tri-color camo as seen in the Current Operations in Georgia. It will be done with NATO Green, Black and Desert Sand from the Tamiya range of paints.

I just need to add some PE tie downs and put the tools on the hull and she'll be ready for paint.

vertigo
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
It looks pretty good, especially as you say the kit isn't great. How do you find the Eduard photo-etch?
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Nice job Scott, I built Zvezda one which was nice too with the best AT-4 launcher post of the market. The vision blocks were clear parts which I liked during the painting stage !

Concerning your cannon, the muzzle alignment seems a bit odd. If I'm correct, the BMD-2s have only one "bow" MG.

Keep on posting
Olivier
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Concerning your cannon, the muzzle alignment seems a bit odd. If I'm correct, the BMD-2s have only one "bow" MG.

Oliver,

The cannon hasn't been fixed in place yet, I bumped it while shooting photos.

As for the BMD bow MG's I've seen ones with two and others with just one..I'm assuming the single bow MG's where a later production run..

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
all i can say is that that is one ugly looking vehicle. (this is in no way a critisism of your modeling skills)

I cant wait to see it painted!
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
NIce job with that! Neat to see some modern armor, especially something other than a tank! Looking forward to your camo scheme and finishing. Skinny tracks! Thanks for sharing your work.

Cheers -
Tim
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hi Scott!

You have done a wonderful job and I'm very curious on your progress. Keep up the good work, you have a very interesting subject going

Jurjen
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 - 09:48 PM UTC
I have made this kit as well and it requires skill and effort to get right. You obviously have both. It looks very good. I am looking forward to see it with some paint on it.

Thanks for sharing
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Nice and interesting picture posted by Gary. From it you can apply the camo you want, it's obvious the Russians do not have "standardized" the pattern.

How do the Masterclub tracks build ?
 _GOTOTOP