Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vickers Medium Machine Gun CArrier
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Slow few days on the modelling front. I have the front bulk head and engine cleaned up and test fitted. Some Milliput to add to the seats and the Engine Cover Buttons and handles to fit.

These are quite small but fortunately you get a few extras incase the carpet monster gets some.

On the underside of the engine deck I filed the sides of the runners a little to get a better fit as it was a bit tight on the runners on the hull floor, same detail on the floor runners took a litle of each side.

The engine has a plug that needs sawed off and sanded down a bit and the front bulk head came off the mould plug with the aid of a sharp knife. No major issues, engine length is good and all should fit well together.

#

You need 8 eight buttons and handles and there are more than enough in the kit. I'm taking it this is standard in the sets as I had the same amount in the Mk I set.

Al
Removed by original poster on 10/23/08 - 15:07:29 (GMT).
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A little more work on the carrier. Fitted the buttons and handles to the engine and added the drivers floor plate and tool box. Started on the pedals and added the kit petrol tanks and rear stowage bins.

There is an error in the instructions. Part SM is in fact part U 11 shown below and I have drawn an arrow to part SM. Part SC should read part SB. The parts themselves make this fairly obvious, ie part U 11 is the drivers seat and part SM the commanders front seat.

Work so far

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Looking at the build instructions there are a number of options for finishing the carrier, it can be built as a British vehicle or a Canadian vehicle both sets of lights are included. It also gives the option of a Pl Comds vehicle or a standard carrier.

Going by the diagrams in The Universal Carrier Volume 2 to it could also be finished as a Pl Sgts vehicle or a Section Commanders vehicle, this really comes down to how you decide to finish the stowage.

Looking at the various stowage diagrams I have one thing stands out and that is that the ammo was stored in wooded crates at the rear left and right hand side. An obvious feature of these is the gate, retaining, ammunition crate left and right. These are not provided in the kit, although both left and right stowage is. In the diagrams they are a bold feature, but I am assuming that being wood they didn't last long and might even have been removed or used for firewood lol, lol. Looking at various pictures there also seems to have been a lot of individuality about the vehicles, crew preference if you like, about how this got stowed which is nice.

For a bit of variety I'm going to finish it as a Pl Sgts vehicle and rather than add the radio, try and add the PIAT/Vickers stowage brackets on the RHS. This would probably mean a NWE unit as I'm not sure when the PIAT was issued in Italy, so I will have to check. Options for crew will also be greater in NWE which is something else to consider. A 4" morar tube on the front LHS is also a possibility.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 10:59 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

My but you're a talkative lot

Been a slow week on the moelling front, but a little more done on yesterday afternoon.

Added the small PE divide and wing nut to the bulk head. Did a little work on the seats. Added a couple of more pedals and joined the sides and lower hull, plus sawed the plugs of some of the internal stowage and added some plumbing for the cooling feed to the Vickers on the LHS of the engine.

SWMBO has gone shopping to Milton Keynes, so I may get some more done this afternoon.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

right a bit more progress.

Added the fixings for the PIAT or Vickers, they can hold either, but I'll mount at PIAT for something different Sanded a bit off the Tamiya blob sights and when it's painted and in place I'll add some holding straps.

Then I added the front bulkhead and gear box.

and the the engine, rear bulkhead, battery box in the front RHS and the small PE cage in the Front LHS.

Also added some fire extinguishers (these have small PE handles that need fitted) and the additional front armour, that sits around the bren opening.

and that's about it so far.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

For those interested in the Vickers MG, Graham lists the following site for reference in the build instructions:

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/

This is an excellent reference and information site that I have used before, and well worth book marking if you're interested in the MG. It also has reference for other types of Vickers MGs.

Resicast are to the best of my knowledge currently the only Company who also do the .303 Vickers Medium Machine Gun as a stand alone item, set 35.222, just in case your looking for some guns for other projects lol, lol.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well I've been reading up on my history on 1IG in Italy. Unfortunately they didn't have any MG Cariers, in fact the Vickers MG wasn't issued at Battalion level at that point although they had aquired 4 Vickers MGs from an unspecified source in true Mick fashion.

Carriers however are very much in evidence, playing a vital role in bring up supplies and ammo, evacuating wounded and moving troops around the battlefield.

MG Carriers were there supporting the Battalion at times in the form of the Middlesex Regiment and troops were by then issued with the PIAT AT weapon, so that question got answered.

The fighting at Anzio was bitter indeed, close quarter and with very heavy losses.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
Like getting blood from a stone !!

Finished off the last Chapter on the 1st Battalions activities during the Anzio Landings, just to give you some idea of the ferociousness of the fighting here's some stats on the Battalion establishment:

Landed at Anzio 22 January 43

Strength 794
During their time there they received 286 replacements
Total 1,080

Left Anzio 11 April 44

Strength 287

Killed in action, missing or wounded 793
They picked up 19 wounded prior to embarkation to Liverpool

Arrived Liverpool 22 April 1944

Strength 326

The action at Anzio effectively finished their ability to fight as an operational unit. No replacements were available in the MTO and they shipped back to the UK to become the training and reserve Battalion to feed the losses of 2nd IG Armoured and 3rd IG in NWE.

Right on with the build.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Apologies I've been a bit slow in getting on with this one, work, some articles to write and life in general mean that I haven't gotten much done these past 10 days or so. Also I wanted to read up a bit more about the paint schemes used in Italy. Hopefully, I can now crack on with the build so should have some updates in by the weekend.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hummm, over 2000 hits on this thread and in the last 12 posts not one person has bothered to reply!! No one interested in Anzio, or the kit? No one resister the human sacrifice made due to the Generals inability to act quickly after the landings?

Perhaps I'm using that invisible ink and paint again!!

Anyway, though I'd try out some Desert Pink from White Ensigns and possibly do the carrier with a OD interior and Desert colour outside. From what I've read, early carriers destined for the MTO would have been painted inside and out with the desert colour. Carriers that got diverted to the MTO where painted outside in whatever was the appropriate theatre of war colour. Not sure if I should go with the Desert Pink or Light stone and Green camo.

Finished adding the seating and a small spares box:

On the build instrcutions Graham recommends that you don't fit the drive sprockets until it's time to fit the track. I've so far not used this sequence but I'll try it out and see if it makes life easier, so just fir the basic axel and exhausts.

You get a replacement rear panel with the conversion set. As I'm going to be adding a bullk stowage item I'lll just use the kit part as it won't get seen. Some general biuts of stowage, the PIAT and rifles from Ultracast I'll be adding as I move along.

Also I have done a little work on the front armour, added the instrument panel and fire extinguishers.

Al
jaypee
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:02 PM UTC
Keep it up I really like the subject. Are you going to put a crew in this?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 09:43 PM UTC
Hi JP,

Thanks for the response, appreciated. On the crew front I'll have to see what Tamiya figures I can alter to fit, but yes I'd like to add a crew also.

Cheers
Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Alan,

The way you document your build coupled with clear photographs is appreciated.

I also like how you kit out the interior with all that stowage, weapons etc. Very authentic.

Keep going mate,
Chas
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Comments appreciated. If you're doing these blogs and the response is zero it's a bit soul destroying even if there are a reasonable amounts of hits on the post.

One thing I do appreciate is feed back and comment, it often points out stuff you don't or can't see becasue you're too involved in the build and quite often sparks an idea you hadn't thought off.

Cheers

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 08:41 AM UTC
Nice work Alan, I get confused between your carrier builds
If the Miniart A/c crew is released soon some of them might fit as crew. I recently re read The Fortress Raleigh Trevelyan's memoir/Diary of his time at Anzio, he wasn't with the Guards but it's a great read.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 09:13 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Yip, they might come in useful.

On Anzio there seems to have been good understanding between the Unit Commanders but not at the Top, lots of occasions when Britsh Units weren't told to support American and American weren't told top support British.

The fighting was very intense, seems to be a lot of occasions when they were attaching or defending with a company of 40 to 20 men, very heavy causalties. Platoons of 10 maybe 15 man holding a wide front, or trying to fight tanks with rifles and grenades.

Of course the delay in pressing on meant the Germans got the high ground and could shell just about every thing in sight. They came close, but not close enough to driving them back into the sea which would have been a major set back for the Allies and major boost to Geman moral They stripped B Echlon of everyone but the most essential to fill the ranks, it was certainly a close call on more than one occasion to them being totally wiped out.

The History of the Micks is a really interesting read. I shall keep an eye out for the book you mentioned.

Cheers

Al
stufer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 07:56 PM UTC
hi alan,nice build!
sadly i am one of those who look but don't touch so to speak!

do you think that we'll ever have a newly tooled universal carrier?the resicast conversion sets are fantastic (i have several mortar carriers,vickers carriers,wasps and the new RA ready to tow the 6 pdr!) but the tamiya kit is older than me!

keep on the great work

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi Stufer(?)

Thanks, glad you enjoy the build.

As regards a new carrier it's quite possible that someone will taken on the challenge of a new 1/35 palstic kit. MiniArt have just announced a new DIngo, I wonder what's next?

Personally I'd like to see someone do the Loyd Carrier and it's varients.

Anyway going by 'Murphy's Law' by the time I finish my current builds, there will probably be a new one on the market lol, lol.

Cheers

Al

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A few updates on the carrier as I finally got a little more done. I have changed the base colour to light mud as the scheme for the vehicles at Anzio appears to have been light mud and blue/black camo.

Added the can for the MG to the inisde and got the wheels built, with just a little more basic painting needed before I fix them. I'm using the flat back plate from the Tamiya kit as it will be convered over with bulk stowage and did a little more work on the 2 bulk stowage items for the interior. The PIAT is finished and just needs a securing strap and I started work on the tracks. This batch need a bit more cleaning up than the last sets I had but it's not really an issue, you just need to take care when cutting the out of their holders. With a bit of luck I might get a fair bit done over the weekend.

Al

Enough talk some pics:

Splinty2001
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 03:25 AM UTC
I've been following this since you first posted, I must say I'm really impressed with the amount of intricate detailing you've put into this little beastie!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 03:38 AM UTC
Hi Jospeh,

Thanks, the carriers are a lot of fun. I've been a bit idle these last few weeks, had the cold/flu and been busy at work so not as much progress as I had hoped at this stage.

Cheers

Al
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 04:11 AM UTC
Alan,

I am enjoying watching this carrier come together. Thanks for the review and blog.

Darryl
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Darryl,

Glad you're enjoying the build, just fitting the wheels at the moment for the nose up effect and cleaning up the tracks.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

added the wheels for the low slung bum effect , or more PC the nose up effect

Al