_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M151 rusted, chared, and destroyed...
Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
In my dio. I am going to have a M151 jeep off the side of the road and destroyed from a previous ambush. I have a few questions, about the modeling and guntrucks
-When a vehicle is destroyed, drives off the road does a recovery vehicle usually come by later to recover the vehicle or would they just leave it there.
-I want to use rust-all for some weathering any tips on it?
-The hood is going to be blown off, and ideas on how I can make the engine compartment burnt like it cought fire?

thanks,
Mike
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:02 PM UTC
I can't comment on the fire part, but you might want to replace any fenders that have impacted with some sort of sheet metal, lead foil, soda can, etc. to get good denting. Same with the hood. Plastic is next ot impossibel to make look like crumpled metal. The good thing is there re so many flat panels on the M-151 and few compound curves. I don't know if the PE sets for this have the bumpers, but here again, you want to get damage to look like metal not plastic.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:41 PM UTC
Most of the time the vehicles will be recovered if they are close to the road. If the powers to be decide not to recover the entire vehicle than any and all serviceable parts will be stripped from the hulk. After that they would destroy the vehicle so as there would be no good parts for the enemy to use. In the case of running over a mine the M-151 jeep caught fire just about every time. Most of the jeeps I saw that were recovered were burn up really bad. Every thing turns to rust where the paint had been burned in a matter of just two or three days.
RPG rounds really reeked havoc on the little jeep. Charlie used to try to hit the vehicle by the driver seat(gas tank is under it). If they were lucky the fire ball was huge. As for using rust-all for weathering a little goes a long way. I use this product on my gun truck models. I mix equal parts of the black wash and the rust solution. This will take out some of the red and if you use it as a wash the appearance will look like a well worn finish. Don't use too much because you will end up with the apperance of a junker. In the case of the burned out jeep this would be ok, but for a serviceable vehicle just use a little.
 _GOTOTOP