_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Best Soviet AFV kits
werwulf
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2008 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hey all,
I'm sure this type of post has happened many a time, but due to a recent house fire , I'm on a search for a new stash of models. So I'm posting to ask who does the best 1/35th model kits of the following:

T-72 and Variants
T-90 and variants
T-80 BV and U variants
BMD-1,2 and BMD-robot
BMP-1 and 2D

Thanks for any and all help! Oh and if you have a couple extra kits stashed away and are willing to part with them P.M. me I'm starting from scratch...AGAIN.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 03:47 AM UTC
Yes, it was asked last Friday, there's some good information in this thread.
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/125120&page=1
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
Recomendations will be Out Of Box - with aftermarket

T-90 none - Miniarm/Tamiya T-72
T-80BV DML - None
T-80U None - SKIF T-80UD with SP Designs kit 216, 213, 214, 195 + Eduard PE
T-72 Tamiya/ Tamiya T-72 with Blast turret
BMD 1 or 2 Zvezda/add Master Club Tracks + Eduard PE
BMD Robat (BTR-D etc) Eastern Express(Alanger) - (none) Eduard PE + Master CLub tracks
BMP-1 AMT/Ertl/Esci - Add Eduard PE, (there are tracks/roadwheels/sprockets but I am not sure they add enough to the kit to justify the expenditure)
BMP-2D DML - SP Designs upper hull replacement, SP Designs or Model Point turret, Eduard PE, Model Point main gun barrel, (there are tracks/roadwheels/sprockets but I am not sure they add enough to the kit to justify the expenditure)

That is the basic rundown.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 12:55 AM UTC
Without calling it junk again, what is needed to make the REVELL T-72B with EDZ more accurate? I got this kit pretty cheap and wouldn't mind making it right.

Thanks!
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2008 - 04:11 PM UTC
Gary's accurate statement aside, the first thing you could do is to add the Eduard PE set to it. Next best thing is to replace the main barrel probably with the Eduard T-72 barrel (I know it is not perfect, but it would be the best compromise replacement). Anything beyond that is really just a waste of money. It will build up looking like a T-72BV, but if you decide to start looking at references, you will see a lot of the problems and it will become a 4ft model (looks good 4 feet away). Not your problem that to make a accurate T-72BV would probably cost you over $250.

Gary, as for the Master Club running gear, I agree that it is indeed superb. I am just stating that for the cost ($25 for the sprocket/track and $15 for the roadwheels = $40) it is not fixing a really big problem in MY mind. I can live with what DML/AMT offer, at least right now, to fix up the OTHER problems of the BMP. That is more what I meant, not that they are bad detail kits.
 _GOTOTOP