_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Dragon 1/24 Armored Jeep?
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 07:46 AM UTC

Hi guys!

I was just over on the Dragon USA site and it looks as though they are taking pre-orders on a 1/24 "Battle of the Bulge" armored jeep. The photos aren't very clear but this appears to be the Hasagawa Willys (the tires are a giveaway) with a very nice PE set for the armor. If this is the case it'd be a welcome addition for anyone who likes the larger scale military. From the photos it appears to have a nice radio holder among other details. Hopefully this is indeed a new 1/24 offering on an interesting subject.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC
Jim,
While not really my cuppa tea it's still a welcome addition to the extremely limited 1/24,1/25th range, just wondering how many extra $'s they are adding to the base kit price . .
When you think about it, the only 'recent' offerings have been the re-releases of Hasegawa's Jeep and Italeri's Fire Jeep and Opel Fire Truck - not much to write home about - .
Just wish Revell would use their '41 Chev Pickup cab and produce a CCKW (the only reason I have 2 kits in my stash).
But I guess something is better than nothing.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hey Casper,

Yep, the pickings are pretty slim on the 1/24 and 1/25 military front at the moment but I agree that this is still a very welcome development. (If this is indeed a new 1/24 addition then I believe that I'll have to alter course and offer a weapons and accessories kit to compliment this kit instead of releasing my SAS jeep conversion next month.) I have to agree that a CCKW release by one of the big plastic companies would be welcomed with much greater enthusiasm but we'll take this one just fine.
On that note I wish that Italeri would rerelease the plain Willys jeep and the regular Opel Blitz truck instead of the fire fighting versions (much more expensive). The Armored Jeep kit still opens up a great many build / detailing possibilities though. A heavily laden .50cal vehicle clearing the way, the rare twin mounted bazooka version, a forward command and communications center, there are so many variations and themes available for this one. Great, now I'll have to buy two.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 - 02:04 PM UTC
I couldn't pass up on this one, considering the size. Not a bad price either.
 _GOTOTOP