_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Drawings of chally 1and2 hulls???
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hello,

I want to ask if there are any drawings of the hull of Chally 1and2! Background is that I want to build the Chally hulls via scratch! I do not like the hulls of the Tamiya kits inclusive of his suspensions. (Details are "tool-like" in my eyes)

Currently I think about to use the suspension of the Trumpeter kit. In this case I would remove Tamiya`s suspension and would correct the the hull.

My second possibility for me would be to build the hulls scratch.

In both case I need drawings etc. to see the points which should be improve.

Best regards Moritz
PiperDan
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
The first question I should ask is whether you plan to build a Challenger 1 or a Challenger 2? The Tamiya Challenger 2 lower hull is quite accurate, save the molded in suspension bits. The Tamiya Challenger 1 lower hull is missing the central weld reinforcement, which the Trumpeter Challenger 2 respresents quite nicely; shame this was not present on the production Challenger 2.

Also, it is worth noting that if you plan to build a vehicle with side skirts, you aren't going to be able to see much of the suspension anyways. The full Dorset Level 2 Chobham side skirts will hide any suspension details, so any additional work will be for naught.

So, let me know the specifics of the vehicle you wish to depict and I'll help you out as best as I am able.

Cheers - Dan
blabla
Visit this Community
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hello,

thanks for your answer!!!

I want to build both, the 1 and 2!

The Chally 1 should be a MK. I or II, a classical 80th`s "ColdWarWarrior" of the "British Army of the Rhine" stationed in North Germany.

The Chally 2 should be "normal" version, no extra armour. When I compared several photos of the Chally 2 in his up-armored version with Tamiya`s, in this case especially the front, I would say that the lower hull is too low. I would say that around 1mm is missing, compared to Trumpeter`s kit, too. I tried to add some Frontdetails of Trumpeter`s kit to the Tamiya kit, but it did not work so that I add 1mm plastic sheet on the bottom of the lower hull and it worked.

But I am not sure if this step was correct!!! So that I need further Information about the size of the hull, of 1 and2.

I prefer the Tamiya kit, do not like the Trumpeter kit, although he is good, so that I want to work with the Tamiya kit.(Chally 2) I think you can see some parts of the Challenger 2 suspension when this tank does not have his extra armour. So my idea was to build a new lower hull and only to use the trumpeter suspension, or to remove the Tamiya suspension and add Trumpeter`s.

The same idea for Chally1, but you are right when you say becareful with too much work which is not needed (no original quotation but I think analogous) and at chally 1 there are the big sideskirts.

So in general I need the sizes of the different walls of Challenger 1 and 2 lower hull. For example from bottom of the lower hull to the top of the lower hull and so on. But only if Tamiya`s size is wrong.

Thank you for your help,

best regards!

_GOTOTOP