_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
NVA SA-2 missle camouflage
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 09:35 AM UTC
I've read that the NVA camouflage painted their missles in green colors for concealment, but wondered, since it was local, if they standardized it, or if they just painted it any old way with whatever paints happened to be locally available? Also, did they paint over/avoid/reapply the markings?
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hi Bud,Get hold of Osprey`s New Vanguard book called Red Sam.I bought this when i did my Trumpeter kit,inside it states that the NVA put branches over them but never painted them.
There`s some fantastic pictures in the book including some Egyptian painted examples,well worth the outlay if you`re building "the flying telephone pole"
HTH
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bud,Get hold of Osprey`s New Vanguard book called Red Sam.I bought this when i did my Trumpeter kit,inside it states that the NVA put branches over them but never painted them.
There`s some fantastic pictures in the book including some Egyptian painted examples,well worth the outlay if you`re building "the flying telephone pole"
HTH

That happens to be the book I referred to, unless yours is a different edition. There is a picture actually showing an SA-2 missle painted in light and dark green colors, with branches on parts of it. It never specifically said the NVA, or anyone else, refused to paint camouflage the missles (though the Soviet manufacturers advised against doing so.)
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
Do you speak about only the missiles or the whole vehicle?

In the last year of the GDR (and so the NVA) they started to paint some (the most "valuable") combat machines in a comouflage pattern you just talked about: black, sort of grey and green. It was done mostly in central places (vehicles were brought there) as East Germany wasn't that big anyway (maybe 400 miles from north to south, thats it ) and with only a very few vehicles. Besides, navy's vehicles only had the green patterns... their vehicles always came last when something new was applied on them (my father just used to be an officer there and told me about it)
taylgr
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read that the NVA camouflage painted their missles in green colors for concealment, but wondered, since it was local, if they standardized it, or if they just painted it any old way with whatever paints happened to be locally available? Also, did they paint over/avoid/reapply the markings?

Tom

Ive cleaned these up as best I can, given that I had to "sneak" the frames, when I hung them - NVA Sa2's outside Da Nang airbase (ironically, just outside the old USMC hardened aircraft shelters).

I got a little closer and can definitely state that the missiles I saw in this location, in the early 80's had a mottled dk green/med green finish - and missile trailer and launch rail were what looked to be local equivalent of olive drab

Greg
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 05:48 PM UTC
Marian: By NVA I meant "North Vietnamese Army". Sorry.

Greg: Thank you so much for the pictures! Presumably local paint colors were used for camouflage and rebuilding.
taylgr
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 - 07:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Marian: By NVA I meant "North Vietnamese Army". Sorry.

Greg: Thank you so much for the pictures! Presumably local paint colors were used for camouflage and rebuilding.

Tom,

No probs mate, yep I'd have to assume that local mixes would have been used for the mottling - probably original Chinese or soviet greens for the base but.

Ha - you wouldn't bloody believe it, would ya - looks like the position is still in palce nearly 30 years later (lower left hand side) - looks like a few trashed mig 21's over in the hardened shelters.

Greg
 _GOTOTOP