_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T55 that has seen better days
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
qhils my on going projects are in full swing i took two eveings out to do a fun build of a T-55 abandoned with a scratch built engine bay.

hope you guys like it!

the idea is to do a scrap yard diorama with these guy's

i already have these figures and they are amazing!
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC
that sounds like a really awsome idea!
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 06:39 AM UTC
thanks mate!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC
Anxious to see how this turns out, great idea.
Best of luck
DJ
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:00 AM UTC
Looks pretty good. Hadn't seen those figures built up, have fun with doing them! Keep us updated.

Cheers -
Tim
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 08:34 AM UTC
Dj and Tim thanks lads! i will keep you guys updated!
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC

Is that a sunny day? In the UK?

-YL
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 09:30 PM UTC
Martyn,

I'll tell you what: You're full of great ideas, and you score a perfect 10/10 for enthusiasm.

But with 3 ambitious dio projects started in the space of just a few weeks ("Nam bunker", "Berlin underground" and now "scrapyard T55"), I'm starting to think that maybe you're maybe biting off more than you can chew, and that perhaps you should set yourself less ambitious targets until you're a bit more experienced and have honed your skills a bit more?

Otherwise you run the risk of becoming disillusioned and maybe even packing it all in - and that would be a pity because from what I've seen of your work so far, you have a lively imagination (a great asset in this hobby) and great potential as a modeller.

Please don't take my comments the wrong way - I'd hate you to think that I'm trying to put you down because that's the last thing I want to do. In fact you remind me very much of myself at your age (I'd be willing to bet too that there are quite a few other older blokes here who'd say the same) - and I wouldn't want you to fall into the same trap that I fell into myself, which played a large part in my abandoning modelling completely for the best part of a decade.

There's nothing wrong with having more than one build on the go at any one time (we all do it!!), but try to stay a bit focussed and not get bogged down in too many ambitious projects at once. As in anything, you need to be aware of your limitations as well as your strengths, and not bite off more than you can chew.

Do that and you'll find the whole thing much more satisfying, and over time your strengths will be come greater and your limitations fewer. Stretch yourself by all means - but don't overstretch yourself.

With regard to this particular project, I really admire your scratchbuilding efforts. The buckled fender on the left side of the tank looks especially effective. Do you intend adding any engine components to the engine bay, or are you going to portray the tank as having had its engine removed?

I'd also be interested to see the Russian SWAT guys built up. I've always been a bit wary of Eastern European kits as they seem to be a very mixed bag in terms of quality. But just last week I bought the ICM set of 1/35 scale World War 1 British Infantry and they're very nicely cast indeed. So it would be interesting to see how these Zvezda figures shape up in comparison.

- Steve
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:45 PM UTC
Marty
i do agree with Steve.
You need to get focus because you will never finish any of your project.
And it is also a good task for your future professional live.
Been here done that when I had your age and my room was full with unfinish dio
Cheers
Seb
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:48 PM UTC
Steve thanks for the comment i dont take it as offence ! honest !

well i no i have got three dioramas on the go but i get bored with a long term one so i swap between them and they get done at my own pace and to my satisfactory if you get what im trying to say and the worst thing for a modeller is doing a kit when there mind isnt 100% on it . its the way i work it might not be every ones cup of tea but its mine how ever i dont like tea i like coffeee.

thanks for the support i take every comment onboard and the figures are brilliant they are towards dragon gen 2 just with out the weapons which is the only tiny down side but then again it's tiny

Martyn

o and ive got a budapest diorama thats ongoing and its um half a meter long il post it up after
so thats four projects
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC
Seb what i basically said to Steve is the answer to your comment but thanks!
 _GOTOTOP