Hosted by Darren Baker
M2A2\M113 varations
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
For Sabot or any one else for that can join in.
Maj. I am hoping you can provide some infomation about the status of a couple veration of the M2A2 IFV.Of interest is the Line backer varation, that in place of the TOW twin tube there is a quad pack of Stinger AA missles. Or of the M2A2 Fistv. From your place in things do you have some idea of what the military is planning about these two varations of the Bradley?
Second can you post a couple good places to get materals related to the extensive range of afv & support vehicles derived from the versital M113. One vehicle that I would like attempte is the vehicle that was used to transport the Lance battle field missle system. #:-) #:-)
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:26 PM UTC
There is an excellent site called The Bucket Shop . It's got a whole crapload of info on M113s. Everything from who uses it to variations to kits on the market. (++)
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:43 PM UTC
Buket shop is a good place to start. I went there several good varations but know lance carrier.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
Check out Hunnicutt's book "Bradley; A History of American Fighting and Support Vehicles." It covers all of the M113 and Bradley variations. It's a little expensive, but it is an invaluable reference. I think it is well worth the cost. :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
The Bradley Linebacker is the M6. You are correct that the twin TOW launcher is replaced by the quad-Stinger pod. The M6 is based on the M2A2 chassis and replaces the M3A2 that divisional air defense units used. The M3 series CFV was used as an interim vehicle to replace the M163 Vulcan. The M163 was based on the M113A2 chassis and provided ADA coverage for manuever forces. The M6 continues in this role.

The reason why the M3 was chosen as the interim vehicle was so that ADA crews could get used to operating in a Bradley and the M3 had more space inside (less seats) so the man-portable Stingers could be stored and a two-man Stinger team deployed when needed.

The Bradley Fire Support Team Vehicle or BFIST is the M7. It replaced the M981 FIST-V or Fire Support Team Vehicle. This vehicle was also based on the M113A2 and closely resembled the M901 ITV.

The M7 BFIST is used to provide targeting for indirect fire systems. Like the M981, it contains a ground targeting laser designator and can pin point a target for artillery fire or can use the laser to guide in laser guided munitions like the copperhead anti tank artillery round.

Both vehicles are fielded to the 1st Cav and the 4th Mech, some other divisional units may have them as well. The reason why the Bradley chassis is used for these special purpose variants are:
1. More survivable and able to keep up with the Abrams than the M113 chassised vehicles.
2. Common chassis is easier to support mechanically.
3. Looks enough like the Infantry and Cavalry Fighting Vehicle to better blend in with our maneuver forces. The Vulcan and FIST-V looked unique and the enemy knew to target them first to hamper our calls for artillery and air defense. Now all the enemy sees is a mass of Abrams and Bradleys.

There is another Bradley variant in the works. It will be called the BEV or Bradley Engineer Vehicle. Currently combat engineers get around the battlefield in M113A3s. They soon will have their own Bradley designed to carry their engineer specific equipment.
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
Thank you sir!
I kind of figured that both were up an running.
Now is there some place that I can get some good close ups of theM6 & M7.
I have seen the photos of the line backer at the TACOM site. Good over all images, But not really close enough to begine a scratch job.As for M7 there is not even a broad shoot of the Range findingTarget disegnation system. There are some good shoots of the TCs independent sight but I am not sure if that is just part of A3 version or not.
Do you by chance know the designation of the lance transport?
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:27 PM UTC
Another variant in the works as well...
The MLRS is based on a Brad chassis as well. Throw into this mix a C2V which resembles a MLRS on steroids. I've got 2 sitting outside at the moment, but anable to post any pics as it is still a sensitive issue here in Iraq. Basically a C2 vehicle with lots of really cool bumps and things. When possible I'll post a pic or two here for you guys. Probably not until I'm back in the states though. Would make a very interesting project and fairly easy from looking at it. Hope you all are building while I'm basting.. lol "Q"
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:56 AM UTC
I know you've gotten a lot of good info above
Here are a couple of links I've found about the M113
http://www.jed.simonides.org/fulltrack/mike-number-us/m113_series/m113-series.html
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m113.htm
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
Yes indeed some vehicles based on the MLRS varation would be way cool. As a matter of fact I have kinda sorta begune to collect some photos of both the C2vV as well as the AMTV. The AMTV is poposed replacment for the M577 that is used at Bn. or higher leval for field medical treatment & critical care. But so far this last varation along with the AEV also base on the Bradley seem to still be in testing phase.
As to these last two I had planned to launch a tread much later on once I get my current stock of rebuilds, conversion, and scratch builds out of the way. I figure that by the time I get what I working on now done the Military establiment will have just about started to field both of these interestion vartions .
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
The tracked launcher, if that is what you are speaking of, was either the M667 or the M752..I have no idea waht seperates them and my official army recognition manuals are still packed away.

Hobby Fan makes a kit of this M113 variant as kit 034 M667 "guided missile equipment carrier." and will set you back about $200. Ouch.

I too am interested in any close up detail shots that show the external differences of a M7 B-Fist from a standard M2A2. I would like to make a accurate conversion myself!

There are other variants based on the bradley chassis, mainly from the 80's that were dropped in the 90's, that would have basically covered all the M113 varaints. Things like a Bradley mortar carrier, the above mentioned ambulance, a 10-ton cargo hauler, a NBC variant , and a more dedicated ADA asset that the M6 (more of a medium range ADA element that I am sure would have given the Air Farce kittens.)

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tracked launcher, if that is what you are speaking of, was either the M667 or the M752..

The M752 maintains the same 3-man crew compartment as the M548, the M667 has a one man driver compartment on the left side only.
bergstiger
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:52 AM UTC
Way to go youall. I figuared that given a bit of time I could get all kinds of good stuff to speed me on my way to a more varied collection than what is off the shelf, as far as just basic out of box kits.
Then to with all this good stuff out on the board maybe folks will get all kind of interesting notions to give a try on.
 _GOTOTOP