_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Firefly dio idea--comments?
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi, guys! I've been tossing this idea around for a little while. I'm building a DML Firefly Vc with Accurate Armour upgradeset and CWS turret and gun, and I plan on getting some Ultracast Canadian crew figures for it. I'd like to showcase the thing in a simple dio. My idea has the Firefly up next to a knocked-out Tamiya Pz.IV. The dead tank has hatches open, interior trashed, and two shot holes in the hull side very close together. The Firefly crew is looking over at this, pointing and talking. The title plate would say something like "Pay up, Clive--that's two holes, not one!" A commentary on soldiers propensity to gamble a bit and the accuracy of the 17pdr gun. Thoughts?

Greg
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 05:01 AM UTC
LOL! Sounds like a brilliant subject! That would certainly add a nice human touch over the scene...

Toni
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 05:47 AM UTC
just a question : what were crew survivability chances in a Pz IV with two holes in it's hull ?

If the holes lead to the crew compartment, you don't really need to open hatches because I think noone was able to open them...
With shots in the rear, to the engine compartment, this might be an other story... And it would make for some interesting painting effects after the engine has been damaged / destroyed and probably taken fire !

Well that's just an idea from a youngster who's never been in a tank, and hasn't even ever touched one.
But some of our vets around should be more helpful about that.

penpen

PS : excuse me, I may sound negative, but this dio sounds pretty nice !
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 06:22 AM UTC
Well, my thinking is this: the rounds go into the right front, obviously toasting the radio operator. The first round might or might not wound anyone else; might go straight through the tank. The turret crew might well have time to bail before the second round comes. The whole thing rests on the assumption of a light or nearly empty ammunition load in the victim, so that there aren't enough rounds cooking off to blow the thing to smithereens. Plausible?
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 06:28 AM UTC
What kind of shell was used during WWII ?
Only HE or AP too, and what kind of AP ?

penpen
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 08:58 AM UTC
I think it's a great idea! Please post a photo when you get it all done.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 10:15 PM UTC
For this kind of work, the Firefly 17pdr used AP or APCR, which had better penetrating power but was in short supply. Against a pz.IV, I htink it unlikely that the scarce high-poered stuff would be used. They'd save that for the Tigers ad Panthers. So probably straight AP, but even so we talking a 76.2mm round at about 2850fps velocity. CLANG!!!

Greg
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
Sonds pretty cool! It'll be interseting to see a battle damaged tank, I haven't seen too many of those modeled.

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP