_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
mickey mouse camo pattern
ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
halloa,

i am building a daimler dingo scout car mk II.
i would finish it mickey mouse camo pattern.
has anybody pics or diagrams of how to paint ?
and tips for applying it? BTW i have no airbrush.

greets

Sander
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 10:08 AM UTC
Sander, sent you (e-mail) the only Illustration I could find, of a Guards Dingo in NW Europe. It appears brush painting would be appropriate in this case, as the pattern looks extremely "hard edged." Regards, Rob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:32 AM UTC
Seen this camo job made using those little white "Os" to make the holes in binder or folders paper stronger or to stop then from tearing or to mend them when torn. They have a hole in them too, but that can be covered with anything. Just place them on on top of each other to get the desired effect. It might be an idea to stick them onto something else a time or two first, so they are not too tacky and leave horrible marks. The vehicle was sprayed black first ..... these place on and then sprayed with desert yellow or green. It worked really well.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
Over the years I've done a fair amount of MM and something which is worth remembering is that yes, it's got hard-edges, but also that a suitable black is important, I would suggest xtracolor's X505 (tyre black) as it's neither black nor grey but has a softer hue, something which is difficult to acheive by mixing. Also if you're doing an early war vehicle, don't forget a splodge of yellow-green (about 3-4mm) to represent the anti-gas paint put on all vehicles up to 1942? (any comments would be welcome on this count) ..... Jim
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:06 PM UTC
Sander,

Why don't you PM Ronald Kok? He has made a SAS jeep whith Mickey Mouse Cammo, he can help you.

The SAS can be found on the Dutch Section of Armorama under Features (Onderwerpen)
ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
Thanks ZoomieE7!! very usefull. just wath i looking at.

jimbrae, do you have some info about the daimler dingo?
anything is welcome. and could you tell me more about the gas splodge?

plastic battle, roadkill. i just send an PM to MR.Kok. i remember me that Ronald did it that way.

if i have progress pics, than i will place them.

greets Sander
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
"Anti-Gas" (actually gas detector) paint (yellowish-green, close to zinc chromate) was applied in patches to areas of British vehicles, and some aircraft, visible to the crew. It was designed to change color in the presence of gas, giving the crews time to don masks. AFAIK, it was applied to only BEF vehicles/aircraft, before it was plain that the Wehrmacht didn't need (and wasn't going to use) gas. If ur Dingo is Post-Normandy, don't think gas paint was part of the scheme. Can't wait to see ur pics. Enjoy the build, Rob
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:43 PM UTC
Sorry, should have been a bit clearer about the anti-gas paint. Re. the Dingo (i'v e only ever built one) let me suggest a good place to start: www.rbuckland.freeserve.co.uk, is the website of the author of the column Small Scale Scene in MilMod, now the site isn't the most spectacular, but what he has is a very useful books section (many of which are out of print) which with a bit of perseverance you can track down. (start with searches on Amazon, you'll be amazed), also on the site is a very useful series of links. As Rob Buckland is a great enthusiast of Brit Armour, this is the best place to start, Good Hunting. Jim

P.S. if you have deep pockets and unlimited patience, take a look at the Cromwell and Accurate Armour websites, between them they do most of the Brit A,cars.......
 _GOTOTOP