_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M-26 Dragon Wagon
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
My Fellow Armor Adventurers----Okay. I have decided to take the plunge and push aside all other projects to start the Dragon Wagon. Last time I even got interested in an M-26 it was the Peerless kit. I matured to the Tamiya kit last Christmas thanks to my over generous Family. I want to start by asking those who engaged this kit two basic questions. One, did the Tamiya instruction sheet provided enough information for construction or did you use a supplemental (like the MMiR article)? Second, I saw several photos of completed model. In these the interior color of the cab is sometimes the same as the exterior and in others it is different. Which scheme did you follow? What paint did you use for the exterior? I think once we get the trend going we can add questions.
thanks
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
I've got mine almost ready to start too DJ. I wish I could answer some of your questions but, like you I will be needing answers soon too. I'm definetly going to be following this thread.
Are you going to use any after-market kits with yours?
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 08:59 AM UTC
Gents:

This is a wonderful model you will really enjoy building. It can use some tweaks here and there, but I'm not sure what a PE set would really add tha I can't make myself. Just take your time and folow the instructions.

I'm not done with mine yet ... it's sort of on hold. I thought I was doing good, armed with photos and copies of some TM pages ... then I picked up Allied-Axis #3 (from Ampersand Publishing -- the guys who do MMiR) and a fatal case of AMS set in. This book is a must-have if you want to correctly detail an M26 DW. A-A #3 also has a big section on the FAMO with Sd.Ah. 116 trailer, so you can definitely get your money's worth. A-A #5 includes "Tank Transporters, Part 2: Dragon Wagon, Part 2" but this is insignificant compared to the info in part 1. Part 1 has loads of info, including an explanation of what all those goofy-looking accessories in the Tamiya kit really are.

Now I want to re-do the cab interior of mine, but the shell is already glued on. Oh well .. just have to buy another!

BTW, all photos I have seen of DW interiors has it the same color as the exterior. Rule No. 1 of modeling: Never use another modeler's model as a reference. Find a photo of the real thing.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:09 PM UTC
Bob--appreciate your comments and certainly will take them to heart. I trust we can get more folks to comment on creating this modeling marvel.
thanks again
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 02:17 AM UTC
Why do I get the strange feeling that a whole lot of Soldiers have not built the DW?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 08:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why do I get the strange feeling that a whole lot of Soldiers have not built the DW?

Well, it is a handful of a model, I haven't seen many completed ones. I'm just monitoring this thread - as I've long since built mine, to chime in if asked. Other than that, I'm just enjoying others discovering and talking about the pros and cons of building the kit...

Gunnie
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hey guys
I cant remember what book it was. I think it was Shep Panes How to Build Military Models(dont quote me on the title)but the last chapter (more like six pages)delt with that model and some of the his tips on how to go about bulding and detailing. I'm over at the girlfriends right now so if you can wait until Sun for that tittle I'll post it then. Scott
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's kind of like the 1/32 A-10 or the 1/48 B-1, or the 1/35 HET or Super HET. Seems like everyone wants one, but when it finally sees the light of day, it is rather expensive and very big. No place to put it. Goes into the category "be careful what you wish for".
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:05 AM UTC
Rob--I think you hit the nail on the head. I am awestruck by the task that lays before me. There are a lot of parts (no kidding) and I bought a shelf just to put it on once completed. I shall begin the journey tomorrow. First step orgainze the parts. Then, we can start the detail cutting and trimming before painting. This is going to be interesting.
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:40 AM UTC
Take it in bites DJ. Set yourself interim goals so the task doesn't seem too daunting. Make wheels one weekend, chassis another, etc.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC
Rob--I agree and always recommend that to my fellow modelers. Eat the elephant one bite at a time. You will not get disgusted/discouraged eating this monster if you take it easy.
thanks
DJ
 _GOTOTOP