_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
which era is this IDF M3 Halftrack from???
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hi,

can somebody help me to identify which era is this IDF Halftrack from. I suppose it will be 80´s - 90´s. Lebanon maybe?

Thanks for any reply.

Regards

Jiri
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hey Sharik,
The 1980-90's is probably a good guess, maybe earlier.
I don't believe that IDF front-line units used the M3-M5 Half-Track series much past 1995.
Reserve units did, maybe still do, but the open top is a liability and wouldn't survive long in today's types of combat.
Cheers

jjumbo

p.s. Here's a site with some info:

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/armored_personnel_carriers/m3/m3.html

tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:21 AM UTC
This would be in Lebanon, probably during the 1982-1984 timeframe. Reserve units still used the half-track in large numbers in both Operations Litani and Peace for Gallilee. The upgrade with the diesel from the M113A1, as evidenced by the flat front, dates this vehicle in use from the late 1970's forward.

Tom
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hi Sharik,
Looks like in Lebanon and probably in 78 since the crew is a regular service soldiers, looks like inside of palast. refug. camps in west area of Lebanon.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartinR
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
You can see the difference between IDF res. and regular soldier when you too been at the same period a regular soldier. Its some small things that make the all difference between them.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartinR
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can see the difference between IDF res. and regular soldier when you too been at the same period a regular soldier. Its some small things that make the all difference between them.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartinR

Like what? Can you point out the differences in the picture so we all can learn?
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
Sorry, I will not enter to this kind of explanations.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartinR

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 07:16 AM UTC
Maybe he can tell be the style of glasses that they are wearing.
Or he dosen't know and didn't think Gary would call him on it.
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
p oyaski
take it easy,

I know what I am talking and have records for what I am talking. Its up to me decide what I want to say and when, and if its still secret or not.
In past I already show and fix many mistake of people that call themself "IDF armor experts" done, resulted in many unaccurate models.
Ask your experts why they think its res. soldiers than, so they will tell us their knowledge.

As we say in hebrew ''what I already forgot you even not learn"
And if you want it to make it interest, put some heavy cash for a bet and I will show you how mach I know and you not.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngamartinR
mikeo
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
Umm.... OK, I didn't think that I sounded upset over this. I also do not remember claiming to have ANY knowledge about the topic.

I'm just a little confused. We are talking about a 25 yr old picture here, Right? So... there is a secret way that the IDF marks their soldiers uniforms so that you can tell if they are active duty or reserve. Why? IF it is a secret, by all means don't tell us, I just don't understand why they would mark their soldiers this way. Why would anyone (Other than an enemy that wants to find out who you are) care if a soldier is regular army or reserve? If the markings are visible in a casual photograph, why have them at all? Wouldn't the markings themselves be an OPSEC violation?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC
Robert I am assuming that something about the picture identifies to your eye that they are regular troops, I would be interested in what it is that identifies this to you. I am in no way trying to be sarcastic I am genuinely interested in what it is, plus the whole purpose of a site like this is to try and help people of all skill levels and interests to learn and improve their knowledge and abilities.
elvis3006
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 09:45 AM UTC
i assume that reserve soldiers in the IDF were all former regular troops? isnt there compulsary service in israel ?
SabIngaMartin
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 11:59 AM UTC
Darren, I understand your point and will try to answer.

First of all, thank you Gary that you don’t questioning my knowledge on IDF.
Gary, as you too ex. military person you know that there are things that coming with personal experience in the field. I said my opinion that these are regular soldiers thus the halftrack will be from 1978 era while other IDF EXPERTS say reserve in 1982 and so.
Again I will not enter to deep explanation but:

When I say that I don’t want to enter to explanations its not always need to be that its secret staff, thus the age of the photo not relevant. Also I don’t wanted to start argument with other IDF experts and bit a dead horse.

As Is said before - personal experience, only a person that spent nights without sleeping to modify his load-bearing ephod (or west) that will became a part of his body when he was a regular soldier, will see that in photo they have very well organized and new type of EPHOD that in 78 and as well in 82 was available in the reg. units while the res. Had at that time older wwII like type that the res. call it a bra.

No Israeli Res. Soldier that respect himself will not carry ranks on his arm (see the soldier on the right).

Helmets, You already mention that they are new type another factor that was limited at the relevant times to regular s.

No Israeli Res. Soldier that respect himself will put on itself a blinker light in the middle of day (see the central soldier).

So these are only some staff that represent high discipline reg. soldiers and not a reserv.
and gain I will not mention more things.

I only hope that now I will not been asked why I use the words Israeli Res. Soldier that respect himself.
Robert Manasherob
SabIngaMartinR
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:26 AM UTC
Robert thank you for taking the time to explain the details that identify this pictures location and time period and the troops involved.
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hello guys,

When posting the topic I didn´t expect it will turn into such discussion, but seems finally everything has been explaned and thanks to Robert we found someting more about IDF ...thanks a lot Robert!

My other request... do you guys have any further "in action" pictures of the M2/M3 in IDF service from 80´s??? There seem to be quite a lot from 67´ and 73´ wars, but not many from the Lebanon theatre.

Thanks again

Jiri
 _GOTOTOP