_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself to the group. I am new to modeling and I just can't wait to build my first one. I am an Armor enthusiast as I am a former M1/M1A1 tank crewman with the 2/64 AR, 3rd INF DIV in Germany and with the 3/37 AR , 1st INF DIV in FT Riley, KS. After leaving active duty, I joined the local National Guard unit here in TN and was sent back in time to become a M60A3 tanker(talk about a shock). I really love armor and have always wanted to build a model of an M1, but never took the time. I'm ready now!!!

Okay, Intro over now down to business, What would the group consider the best model for me to get my feet wet. It does not have to be an M1at first, just a good learning experience. I welcome all responses and appreciate them.

P.S. I Love this site, I just happen to stumble on to it a few days ago and I can't get enough of the pictures and articles. Kudo's to the webmaster.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:15 AM UTC
Amigo--I am a former 3/64 AR guy from my days in Schweinfurt. Good to have you here. Great people. If I can recommend to you a resonable kit to start this marvelous hobby off with it would probably be either the Tamiya Sherman or Stuart tanks. Straight forward kits, clear instructions, vinyl tracks, and generally speaking nice decals. Stay engaged and show off your work.
Best of luck to you!
DJ
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:17 AM UTC
Welcome to the sight!! Site that is... It is quite the sight though isn't it!

There are more informed opinions here, but my idea is to wet your feet with a subject you are interested in and that fits the wallet! There will always be something else on the horizon (gathering from your background). The rest of the money will be spent with building up a workbench and other tools anyway, so might as well as make affordable...

Welcome aboard and the motto is "Lots of pics, we can't get enough of them!!!"
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amigo--I am a former 3/64 AR guy from my days in Schweinfurt. Good to have you here. Great people. If I can recommend to you a resonable kit to start this marvelous hobby off with it would probably be either the Tamiya Sherman or Stuart tanks. Straight forward kits, clear instructions, vinyl tracks, and generally speaking nice decals. Stay engaged and show off your work.
Best of luck to you!
DJ

Welcome aboard! I agree with DJ, my first armor kit was a Tamiya Sherman and it was a very nice build.
relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Best of luck to you!
DJ

alright, 3/64 just down the street.

Just out of curiosty, when were you there? I was there from Sept. 1986-Sept 1988.

thanks for the input.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC
Just wanted to welcome you to the site...... :-) :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 02:13 AM UTC
Tread--our ships must have passed in the night. Under the H-series TOE, I commanded Combat Support Company, 3/64 Armor from 1978-1980 as I recall. Area M was a favorite spot! Lived in Houlzhausen.
DJ
relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tread--our ships must have passed in the night. Under the H-series TOE, I commanded Combat Support Company, 3/64 Armor from 1978-1980 as I recall. Area M was a favorite spot! Lived in Houlzhausen.
DJ

Area M or more affectionately known as “Area Mud “. I Hated that place, nastiest mud you ever saw and a nightmare to get off a tank. You would spend ours on the washrack and the water would bounce off the mud like it wasn’t even there. It never failed that the only time we went there was when it was 20 degrees or lower, and lord help you if threw a track or busted one. Now there would be a good seen for a diorama.
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 03:00 AM UTC
Welcome aboard from "THE DAGGER" And I tghird the opinion to start with something easy on the wallet and that turns your turbines. Have fun and remember if there is a question on any area of the hobby there is plenty of people here that can just about answer anything and if not then we can point you in the right direction. LOT'S of Experience and knowledge floating around here to help out.

DAGGER : A weaopon with a short pointed Blade: "THE CUTTING EDGE"
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 03:23 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama.com!

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
Welcome aboard RelicH.! Always great to see new members and newbies alike! :-)

As far as a "starter" kit, I agree with DJ's suggestion of Tamiya's Sherman or Stuart. I would also like to add their (Tamiya) M3 Lee or the M8 HMC. All of these kits are straight forward, easy builds to cut your teeth on. And fairly inexpensive to boot.

Take your time and enjoy. Feel free to fire as many questions away to the forum here, as I 'm sure all will be happy to help you along. :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC
Welcome to another treadhead :-) Where in Tennessee are you? I'm here outside Smryna and my oldest son is currently getting ready to go to the NTC with 4/278th ACR, TN Guard. If you are near Nashville, we have a model club that can help you get started (plus we need more builders of ground targets). Easy kit to start - anything not Eastern Europe, most of the other recommendations are good.

Again, Welkommen!!! (Is thay spelled correctly? )

Ranger74
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just out of curiosty, when were you there? I was there from Sept. 1986-Sept 1988.

Sounds like we were playing in the FRG at the same time (5-77AR, Mannheim Dec 87-Dec 90). I would recommend any of the recent Tamiya kits, but given your background in the M1/M60 series, I would steer you towards the Tamiya M1A1 (with or without mine plow) or the M60A3 or M60A1 w/ERA. This way you have the necessary references in your head or in the motorpool. Go with what you know, although the M1A1 sticks you with just 2 basic schemes, NATO 3-color or overall desert tan.
relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to another treadhead :-) Where in Tennessee are you? I'm here outside Smryna and my oldest son is currently getting ready to go to the NTC with 4/278th ACR, TN Guard. If you are near Nashville, we have a model club that can help you get started (plus we need more builders of ground targets). Easy kit to start - anything not Eastern Europe, most of the other recommendations are good.

Again, Welkommen!!! (Is thay spelled correctly? )

Ranger74

Hey Ranger, I live in Cookeville, about 75 miles east of you. I was in M co. 2/278th ACR out of Jamestown, TN when I got out of the regulars.

Thanks for the club invite, when do you meet? Although the distance would hamper any regular club activity, It would be nice to meet some fellow modelers.

Your son will have some interesting things to tell you when he gets back from NTC (aka " The Dust Bowl "). I was there with 3/37 AR in 1990. Miserable place this time of year.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 04:42 AM UTC
Welcome aboard is everybody here ex military Yahoo
Jeff
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:13 AM UTC
No, not all of us are ex-military Sgt Reef. :-)

Welcome aboard Relichunter!
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome aboard is everybody here ex military Yahoo

I'm not ex-military
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:51 AM UTC
welcome on the site !
sorry, were not all ex-military.
I prefer to stick to model tanks rather than the real stuff.

penpen
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not ex-military

Ditto ...too dumb to quit, maybe???

I have a civilian job, too.
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
No..no ex-military...I lost my chance since I didn´t born early enough to fly a Sopwith Camel in WW1 !

Welcome!

Toni
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

welcome on the site !
sorry, were not all ex-military.
I prefer to stick to model tanks rather than the real stuff.

DITO, and welcome to our community
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
I'm taking my stripes and going home to sulk, everyone outranks me now!!

Private Jack Haha :-)
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Oh, come on fellas. Being ex-military is better than being in a frat. And like Bill Murray said in Stripes -- ... the stories we can tell! Ex-law enforcement is just as cool.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Relichunter - There is a model club that meets in Cookeville, they also host a show at TTU every Spring. Yea, I know Cookeville, spent four years there while at TTU and I have relatives there and in Sparta to the south. My son should have some flashbacks at the NTC, I was stationed there 1984-87 and we lived on post for about 18 months. But, of course he was only 4-5 years old then. I give you more info on the Nashville club by PM.

Jeff
Sabot
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm not ex-military

Ditto ...too dumb to quit, maybe???

Nope, too smart and dedicated! I'll leave when they tell me I'm no longer wanted.
 _GOTOTOP