_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
M113A3
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 05:58 AM UTC
I want to build an M113A3, the modern version. Any suggestions about what kit to use? Will I have to do a conversion, or is the kit out there somewhere? What aftermarket should I use (PE, resin parts, etc.)? And does anyone have suggestions for reference photos, etc.?

I'm countin' on y'all to steer me straight!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 06:29 AM UTC
The Academy kit (#1354) is the one you want to build an M113A3 chassisied vehicle. Now, I'm sure the engine is not an A3 engine and the laterals need to be replaced by the steering yoke, but the main components are there such as the external fuel cells, spalling liner on the internal fuel cell, radio rack (missing on Tamiya kits) VRC-12 series radio though, and the forward smoke grenade launchers. Other niceties the kit comes with are a camo net bag and camo pole bag, Alice packs, whoopie light, BFA for .50 cal, Dragon missile launcher, modern US water and fuel cans, and the trim vane with the new floatation device.
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2002 - 07:06 AM UTC
ARENGCA,

Got this site a while back while looking for ref. photos. Pretty neat.

I just had a look and it have reference photos of the M113 (A1, A2 and A3). Hope it helps.

There are refernce photos of a lot of armoured vehicles from all over the world if anybody else wnat to take a peep.

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/archive.html
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
Maple Leaf Models makes an interior detail set that includes some items useful for all M113 from basic up to A3 depending on the variant. Included are radio racks, ramp winch, updated heater and fire extinguisher. check them out at http://www.cyberus.ca/~morganz/MapleLeafModels.html
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:56 AM UTC
Fredenberg - thanks for the Canadian site. I can use some of that stuff with the Verlinden dozer blade to make a Canadian M113.

Jeff
kf8xo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:07 AM UTC
If I can get off my ever expanding tushie long enough, I will scan and send you the "Sales Brochure" from FMC. It has a couple real nice shots of the troop compartment and drivers position. I currently have the Academy kit started. Kinda put it on the back burner when my dad passed(I was building it for him, he was the lead logistics contact at TACOM for the entire 113 FOV). IIRC the kit does not have the interior spalls, I think I was going to scratch them out of card stock....okay enough rambling.

KF8XO
 _GOTOTOP