Hosted by Darren Baker
Using glycerin to seal real plants?
zemzero
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:02 PM UTC
Somewhere on this site was an article that showed someone making a diorama. In it, he said he used glycerin to seal small flowers that he picked out of his yard.

I was wondering if this really works, and what kind of glycerin to use. I know some glycerin is used in soaps and stuff, does it matter what kind?

If that doesn't work, does anyone have and idea where I can get some real small wildflowers? Heki makes some, but only in yellow. I think they would be hard to paint what colors I want.
calvin2000
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:41 PM UTC
this is the only one I remember.http://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1651
hope it helps.
Kelly
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:00 PM UTC
You can buy glycerin at any Pharmacy store.

It will work.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Somewhere on this site was an article that showed someone making a diorama. In it, he said he used glycerin to seal small flowers that he picked out of his yard.

I was wondering if this really works, and what kind of glycerin to use. I know some glycerin is used in soaps and stuff, does it matter what kind?

If that doesn't work, does anyone have and idea where I can get some real small wildflowers? Heki makes some, but only in yellow. I think they would be hard to paint what colors I want.

Saw this technique in a diorama article about thirty years ago in Military Modeler Magazine. The problem was the excessive brittleness of the dried plants the author wanted to incorporate in a desert setting--he feared they would crumble over time (or if they were brushed by mistake in handling). The builder mixed glycerine with a little alcohol to help the plant absorb it. The plant was soaked in the mixture and allowed to dry, and the small dried plant remained soft and pliable after it was installed in the diorama. This always intrigued me, but I never got around to trying it myself.
 _GOTOTOP