_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Centurion Help
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:18 PM UTC
I got a AFV Club 1/35 Centurion MK.5 & 5/1 kit from ebay for a good price. I was wondering what PE and resin update conversions sets there are.

Happy Modeling
Tom
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 12:43 PM UTC
Voyager makes a very comprehensive PE set, to include sideskirts, but a good portion of mine went unused. The tie downs are nice as they have tiny spikes to help locate them. However, being flat, you'd still be better off using wire for a more realistic appearance. The stowage box latches are a little tedious as well. Still, it's worth the cost in my opinion.
Firestorm Models make a set of replacement wheels, but I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong the kit supplied tires.
There are also a few differeent mantlet covers out there, some in resin, some in a rubberish material. The resin one I have (Firestorm" Not sure...) was not very realistic on the upper left edge.
Best Value Models did a resin update for the '73 Sho't, which was very nice, but no longer necessary with the release of the new plastic kit.
Cromwell Models also do some nice conversions for backdating to a Mk I and a Mk II. There's a also a Mk III turret available in resin.
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 01:43 PM UTC
Tom

Here's a link to the review of the Voyager set for the IDF Sho't mk 5, mk 5/1 from the Perth Millitary Modelling site.
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/voyager/vm_pe35217.html

I used a slightly different Voyager set for my Canadian Centurion Mk 11LR that was designed for the AFV Club Aussie Centurion kit. It turned out great, I even used the resin mantlet cover that came with the Voyager set. It was alright with modifications including some masking tape straps and a Milliput cover for the searchlight rail.

Here's a few pics:

I've since bought some of the Lion Marc replacement turrets from Lucky Model for future Centurion Projects. They are first rate and solve the mantlet cover problem perfectly. Here's a link to the Lucky Model items who are among some of the distributors of Lion Marc stuff:

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?search=Y&q_brand=LMD&q_category=AR&q_scale=35&q_word=turret

cheers;

Bob
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
That is some very impressive work,NebLWeffah. Hope mine comes as close to yours as I can. I wanted to do a sand color one, but you might have changed my mind.

There's allot to choose from.PE and resin.

Happy Modeling
Tom
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 06:15 PM UTC
Thanks very much Tom , I appreciate your comments.

The Voyager sets are first rate and well worth the money. The one I worked with here had 8 frets of PE, some nice brass tubing and caps for the grenade launchers, and a good deal of high quality resin pieces with the whole thing fitting together perfectly. The only bit of work was getting the mantlet cover to fit but I think the final effect worked out well. I hope to see your Centurion under whatever flag that you decide to build it.

Bob
This post was removed.
 _GOTOTOP