_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which firefly kit to choose?
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi guys.
Could somebody tell me which kit of the firefly tank is the best one to make in the 1/35 scale?Dragon or Tasca?i am new to making armour and i would like to make one that has not got a lot of problems during construction.I was thinking of making a firefly in Normandy.

Thanks
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
I have the DML and Tasca kits. I prefer the Tasca kits. Check the different reviews here and on others sites to hear what others have to say.

Darryl
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hey Nick,
It kinda depends on your spending budget.
Tasca makes the best Firefly VC but it costs more than the Dragon kit.
If you're not overly concerned about accuracy and aren't planning to add lots of AM bits and pieces, the Dragon kit can be made into a decent kit.
FYI - if you go for the Dragon kit, get their newer kit #6182 rather than their earlier releases, kits #6031 and 6121.
Cheers

jjumbo
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
Thanks for your replys guys.
Basically i have looked at reviews of both kits here and in other sites.The main conclusion is that both kits are good.I was just wondering which one has the least problems during construction.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:38 AM UTC
That'd be the tasca, plus you dont have to deal with the 2-5 hours of track construction from the DML kit. The tasca tracks are pretty nice.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Tasca, Tasca, Tasca
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
The short answer is: Tasca.

The long answer is: it depends on what your time is worth and how much you enjoy fixing up models.

I finished a DML 6182 Firefly a few months ago. To get it up to my standards I had to add about 4 feet (not scale) of weld lines all over the tank. The turret footprint has a weird ovular shape requiring some resculpting. It is not 'dimensionally accurate'. The barrel is too long so you must chop off the muzzle break, cut a piece off the end of the barrel, and put the break back, or just replace the whole thing. The indy link tracks look tremendous but if you do not like cleaning up and assembling small parts, about 600 of them, look elsewhere. There is also a slight problem with the position of access panels on the underside of the tank but I did not fix that. I believe the idlers do not come with backs but the road wheels do. Keep in mind that DML released three different Firefly VCs, and that older versions have even more problems, including more of the dreaded 'dimensional issues'. 6182 is the most recent and most accurate.

The Tasca kit does not have any of the issues I just described. In my opinion it can still use some refinement, but I think that about EVERY kit.

-Doug
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:03 PM UTC
Thanks you all guys for your replys.I will probably go with the Tasca firefly.Does anyone know who sells Tasca kits in the UK?I have looked at Hannants and creativemodels web sites but i can not find the firefly
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Nick

SBX Models.

It's free postage on all his stuff. Never dealt with him personally but read from others he's one of the good guys. Prices seem pretty good to, maybe even cheaper than Dragon. I'd check with any on line retailer for stock availability before getting excited though.

Tasca stuff

Enjoy the model, lucky devil.

Alan

Edit. P.S. I just noticed you are East Anglia, they I believe are Ipswich....close?
 _GOTOTOP