_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
MAZ 537& SS11 Sego ICBM
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 05:58 AM UTC
I was asked to build something for one of the Branch tables at the upcoming UK/IPMS SMW at Telford.I am a bit busy on one of the campaign forums here but I promised to try.I did have a couple of weeks off coming up, so...Then a half finished and sadly rather roughly made Trumpeter MAZ 537 and transporter trailer came into my hands. The trailer was a write off but the tractor could be unpicked and remade a little better with care .
So I decided to try this.

This and a similar shot are the only references that I can find, apparently looking as if they were taken from a great distance by a camera hidden in a bow-tie. There is a certain amount of freedom in that however.

Trailer rear.

Trailer front and goosekneck

Paddy
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
Great Piece of Scratch Paddy
Cheers
Seb
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
Raining and cold outside so a good day to work without interuption.

The tractor is back together, The suspension arms were fitted upside down and that's giving fit problems.

Just roughly tacked together to get an idea of the size for a base and for the general feel of the thing.

The tube is domestic plastic drainpipe. With an O.D of 7cm its about the right dimensions that I have worked out for it in 1/35th say 54cm x 7.5cm.
The yellow markings along the tube say "Marley Plastic Products" and hopefull will be covered with paint.

The warhead is a plastic kitchen funnel cut to shape.

Paddy
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
Well It seems that I am the only one that like this project
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hello
its russian ,its green and its got a huge thingy on the end.... i like it !
todorovicandreas
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 593 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
This is amazing!

Shows A LOT of skill!

Best regards,
Andreas
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
Not too much done so far just a bit on the warhead.

Markings and weathering will I think reuire some care.From studying Red Square Parades on YouTube markings seem to be largley white outlined red stars and some Guards Bannner insignia. I dont know but I think maybe the latter would be inappropriate for the Stratigic Rocket Forces, so large Red stars it will be. I am happy of course to learn differently.
Weathering could be fun, this is a functioning machine and it will show traces of use but this is being paraded in front of VIPs and the whole world so its more than likely that a squad of conscripts spent weeks in a hanger going over every inch with a diesel soaked rag. So I think subtle and then some.

Sebastien, Peter and Andreas thanks for your kind words and interest. This is fun but as its still cold and wet I think I will give my M38 some time this afternoon.

Paddy

Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:59 AM UTC
That is a very cool project you have going on! The overall size is very intimidating and will be a nice focus point on example a contest table.

Keep up the good work and good luck with the details

Jurjen
cheswickthecat
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 07:47 PM UTC
that thing is HUGE! I bet you are going to use about a gallon of paint on it I'll be looking forward to more updates as you progress on this. Good luck!
Samuca
Visit this Community
Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:15 AM UTC
S!
That's what I call a BIG project. Very nice, keep glueing
mecanix
Visit this Community
Kerry, Ireland
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:34 AM UTC
Wells its as finished as its going to be and it will be on its way to SMW at Telford in the morning. Some parts were still to be applied windscreen wipers,mirrors,trailer hydraulicand electrical connections etc. I am also aware that some things I have left off. What appears to be sway -braces at the container sides and what might be a loading winch and motor on the trailer goose-kneck. Sadly lack of time and reference precluded them and as its never going to grace a competition table so what the heck.

The base is two bedroom unit drawer fronts cut 1/3rd of the way along and fitted together. Red Square is two sheets of 4mm railway brick sheet.

Its a bit rough in places, the camera does it more justice than it deserves and it only took three and a half weeks to build. As somebody mentioned painting was the problem. I used nearly an aerosol of grey car primer,a tin of matt black and a tin and a half of White Ensign Russian Green topped off with five coats of Future. Trouble and delay were the white counterpoints. I made elaborate tape masks but the paint got underneath and I had to strip the trailer and tractor wings clean and start again.this had a reaction with the new paint and was stripped and washed with cleaner then painted green again with handpainted white.This looked awefull but as time was limited I removed only the trailer and used white PTFE tape secured with Future.It seems to work.

This was loads of fun if not too accurate but its back to my bench backlog.
Thank you for taking an interest

Paddy.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
Look Really Good and very unusual size for a 1/35 model
panzerkampfw
Visit this Community
Busan, Korea / 대한민국