_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Mouse House Australian M3 Buna
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
Mick Toal provides a build review of the 1/35 resin conversion set for the Academy M3 designed to produce an Australian M3 in service at Buna 1942-43.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 05:12 AM UTC
A good, concise, straightforward review, Mick. I just ordered one from Mousehouse.
I have several Academy M3 kits won in raffles and this gives me a reason to build one!
This conversion is a great value, too, only $17 USD.
Thanks!
jasmils
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,016 posts
Armorama: 745 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 03:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the review Mick. I have used the model you did (after seeing it in A&NZD) all those years ago as referance many times.

Matt,
I hope you enjoy the kit.

Cheers Jason
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hi Mick,

Looks like a useful little set, thanks for the review.

Al
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 10:23 PM UTC
Thankyou for the review. I would like to build this tank someday, when I find the time.

I have seen your Stuart diorama, must say it is very good considering it was built pre-internet!

Chas
Heatseeker64
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thankyou for the review. I would like to build this tank someday, when I find the time.

I have seen your Stuart diorama, must say it is very good considering it was built pre-internet!

Chas

Thanks mate ... yes, I'm still happy with that little Stuart, but it took a lot more blood, sweat and tears than it would today thanks to better resources, a better (but still flawed) Academy kit and an update kit which has done all the research and scratch building for you.

While the Academy interior is the wrong type for a rivetted hull, having a floor, firewall, sponson bases, transmission and drive shaft cover is a very good basis for a rudimentary interior.

There's even a set of track from AFV club, and the Academy kit provides decent rubber band and individual links, so the start points are a lot further down the road than they were in the 1990s. Mouse House also produces a set of Aussie tac signs, which will definitely streamline my next project considering I handpainted the "mailed fist with battle axe" on the 1990s Stuart.

When you look at the Tamiya kit compared with the Academy, the turret looks decidedly "dinky" .. that said, I'll be keeping my first effort "as is", although I am all ready looking at making a new "horseshoe" turret with cupola using the Academy M3A1 ... watch this space.

Here's a snap of the first effort, which will remain one of my favourite creations:

_GOTOTOP