Hosted by Darren Baker
Beginner Needing Advice & Help
jdswift
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:29 AM UTC
This is my first post here on the site and am just returning to the hobby after a 15+ year absence. Model building seems to have changed alot since I was a kid and this time around I hope to produce something that I can be proud to display. My main interests are German and Soviet armor of WWII and 1/48 scale strikes me also. I am wondering if anyone has any
recommendations on a good kit to start back with or any other advice to assist me in any way. I am a little unclear on how to proceed. thanks to all in advance for any help.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama.
If 1/48 is your thing, Tamiya produce a nice range of German and Soviet kits. You might like to try their T-34/76 first. A pretty simple kit, and a nice one too. Some can be found at Hobby Lobby, which is where I would look first. Every other week they have an online 40% off coupon. As for the changes in the hobby, I wouldn't sweat it. Just get a kit and dig in. Save the PE and resin for later when you're more comfortable with it.
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 12:39 PM UTC
Yeah, what he said. Hobby Lobby usually carries the Tamiya Tiger I. Stay away from the Hobby Boss stuff for a while.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 01:25 PM UTC
Yes i agree, Tamiya is great in 1/48th scale. They also have American stuff to. Really simple and easy. Only thing is they list there own paints, Which is okay. Great for airbrushing. But you can substitue . I must have 75 different bottles.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:10 PM UTC
Just cruisin the threads. I thought the KV-2 was a great kit. The T-34 has those handrails that always want to snap in 2. I'm working on a su-122 at the moment. You need Tamiya extra thin cement and a Superglue (I use Loc-tite from walmart) both have brush applicators. A sanding stick cleans up the Tamiya parts very quickly. HTH
Welcome to 48th scale and have fun modelling!

mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:37 AM UTC
Welcome Joshua. If you're interested in 1/48 German armor, you might want to check out AFV Club's offerings. They are selling reboxes of the great Skybow kits. And Great Models is offering both mfg's kits on sale right now.
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
If you want to go for Tiger I, I would recommend the AFV Club offerings. Those are the kits originally released by Skybow – still considered the best Tiger I in 1/48 scale by many. Some reviews:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/skybow/tp4801.htm
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/skybow/tp4833.htm
jdswift
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 02:56 AM UTC
I wanted to say thanks to eveyone for the advice that has been given and for the warm
welcome to the community. It appears that Tamiya has won out so to speak so I decided
to try their T34/76. I have one on order that should arrive by the weekend. I will keep
everyone posted on the progress. I do remember building a few old Tamiya kits as a kid.
Panzer II and few others. It appears that Tamiya has improved tremendously since then.
Thanks again to everyone.
 _GOTOTOP