_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panther Tracks
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:49 PM UTC
OK people...I have a query......hopefully some of you have built the Tamiya 1/35 late war Panther tank....the one with the impossible rubber tracks??? Well if you have, how in gods name did you get the tracks to attach to the tank? I keep trying to stretch the track around the wheels but everytime i do the drive sproket brakes off. i tried gluing the tracks together first, but they aernt big enough to fit around the wheels aparently.

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:02 PM UTC
My suggestion would be to buy the aftermarket tracks and use them..
If that's not an option, and you have to use the vinyl tracks, What I do is glue the ends together with CA glue, then melt the tabs to lock them together, clamp them and let them set overnight.. Then I start to add the tracks on the Front drive sproket and "gingerly" pull the tracks to the idler wheel, then work them over the groves in the idler wheel without pulling on it more than I have to until I get the tracks lined up and positioned correctly.
Hope this helps #:-)
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
I tried to glue them once, but I could never get them to reach the idler sproket. I have been trying to stretch it out a bit, but im not sure how much that is really working.

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:37 PM UTC
that sounds odd, the tracks on my jagdpanther only needed slight stretching then i glued them on with superglue. i had no problems with the tracks in my kit but i might have been lucky!
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:10 AM UTC
how would you melt the tracks together? I actually got them on lastnight just by working with them a bit...but the glue pulled apart from where they broke away before and it was pulling on the spot where you attach them. Im thinking melting them may be the only way to keep them together.

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:20 AM UTC
Well, I used Fruil tracks on my Panther but as I recall, there a little tabs that interlock with holes where the two ends of the track meet. Heat a flat headed screw driver, or an exacto blade, something flat, and push on the tabs until they have melted flat over the holes. Make sure the keep the tension up until the melted plastic has set so that the ends do not rip apart. If worse comes to worse, I have another set of rubber tracks for the Panther i can give you.
Good luck,

Andrew

PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
If unable to glue or melt them together, try sewing them with black thread. Just place your surgery underneath a roadwheel, and you will be the only one to know.

Patrick
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Armorama: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC
Yeah, the Panther, King Tiger, Tiger, etc... all really benefit from individual link tracks. Especially the natural "Sag" you need to produce a realistic model...

Have you tried leaving the drive sprockets unglues, then putting the tracks with the drive sprockets in them on at the same time?

Best of luck,

Scott
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC
Where can you find after market tracks? I have been unable to find them or I am just looking in the wrong place.
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
I'm not sure if that would work...the tension for these rubber tracks is pretty tight. ive got enough old glue on the ends right now to make 3 more models. Lastnight when I got the track on, I just held the sproket with my thumb till i was sure the glue was totally try with the tracks on them. I think that might work this time. I just need to remember to hide the spot where it came apart. I was thinking about stapling or sewing those back together to make sure there isnt going to be any problem with them

Rangers Lead the Way
Josh
P.S. More Pics of all these models coming soon...as long as Yahoo isnt stupid in letting me put them up!
IronPanther
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
Success! One track on...one to go...and without ripping off the drive sproket I might add.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:27 PM UTC
here is something I've heard done with rubber band tracks that were too tight...

detach the rear idler wheel and reattach it slightly forward for a better fit.......

I personaly have never used this method yet... just one of those tips i've heard and filed away in the backbrain.........just in case.

_GOTOTOP