Hosted by Darren Baker
Verlinden Buildings
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
I won off of ebay 2 building sets from Verlinden, one is the Middle East Ruins, the other the Beruit Building Ruins.

Anyone ever build these? And if so what did you think of them? Anything I should look out for?

What do you use to stick/glue the parts to each other, ie: the side and the front of the building...what do you use to make the corner adhere to each other.? What do you use to stick the buildings to a base? Say a wooden base with a layer of plaster? Would the building stick to wet plaster? or would you wait till its dry and use something else? Or use something to attach the building to the wooden base...and then plaster for a base around the building.........so many questions....so little answers....LOL!!
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:43 PM UTC
I think Verlinden buildings are okay. I prefer to build mine from scratch just for the sake of uniqueness, but that's just me. As far as construction is concerned, here are a few points:

1) The pieces will sometimes have plaster flash on them which will need to be cleaned up. No big deal, just scrape off and redo any lost detail. The plaster is easily scribed or rescribed. Also, there is no interior detail in most kits, so be prepared for some extra work if you want to show both inside and out.

2) I normally use 2 part epoxy to join the parts for extra strength. Also, I drill and pin the joints of most parts, especially the large wall pieces, because you can't have a too strong joint, and it helps alignment. Once the pieces are joined, you might need to fill seams. Any of the usual methods of filling should work.

3) Before painting, it's best to seal the parts. The plaster is pretty porous and will suck up paint like crazy in many cases, so I give the parts a coat of future. I think any sort of overcoat sealer, acrylic or lacquer is supposed to work, but I'm not certain. I know future or any similar product does a decent job of prepping the plaster for paint.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will jump in as well and add their two cents as well.

I hope this helps!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:00 PM UTC
here is an excellent article written By Keith magee on armorama called prepping plaster buildings
click here for article
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
I usually have a square handy when I am pinning and gluing the parts together. It will help you make sure your vertical sections are perpendicular and the corners are actually at 90 degree angles.
 _GOTOTOP