_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
1/72 Russian tanks
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 06:41 AM UTC
Are the tanks series by Ace any good? I'd like to build all the prominent post-war Russian armor (from T-54 to T-90), and quite honestly the 1/35 market is not that great. (Or you have to spend a fortune on each kit to make them decent.)

Thank you
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 02:54 AM UTC
Ace kits are pretty rough...you will end up having to add what after-market is available or else scratchbuilding quite a bit of detail. The kits are best described as good starting points. I am not sure on some of their most recent kits, they may be getting better, but up to the T-90 offering they were pretty rough.

On the other hand, if you like 1/72 scale you will spend less money and do just about as much work on these kits as in 1/35...
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:44 PM UTC
Thank you for the answer. I hoped it'd be good news, but any news is better than no news, right?
I'm trying to find a balance between correcting mistakes, and spending horrendous amount of money and time to get everything right, but Russian armor is a bastard child for the model makers, it seems.
I might as well give up, and build OOB from now on.
(If you think about it, DML would have a much wider choice of subjects with 3in1 T-55s, T-62s, and all -after all they made hundred times more of these than Tigers, and they'd been modified like crazy over the years. Too bad they don't listen to common sense. Blast the market...)
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 08:21 AM UTC
Andras,

I agree fully with Jacques remarks concerning how ruff the older Ace Russian tank kits are (don't know if the newer ones are any better?). I recently back dated and scratched built a number of pieces for an Ace T-54 kit to actuarately represent a Vietname war era Vietnamese T-54. I followed an "On The Way" 72nd scale website article of an Ace 72nd Polish T-55 kit build that helped me to achive a good result with my build that I posted here on Armorama when completed.

Below is a link to my build.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/117347&page=1

If you have the time it is worth the effort to attempt a little scratch building to come out with some of the differant T-54,T-55,T-59 variants to add to your collection until better kits are avilible.

Here's wishing you lots of success with your builds
-Eddy
 _GOTOTOP