_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
A Danish M106A1
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
Here are some in-process shots of my entry. I’m building a Danish M106A1 self-propelled mortar carrier. The Danish army had had a total of 56 such vehicles enlisted from the mid sixties to the end of the century.

I have used Tamiya Model’s 35116 M106A1 Us Armoured Self-propelled Mortar as a base for my build. One must face however, that this is a very, very old kid and definably not one of their best models. The details are at their best rough, it’s clearly more of a toy made into a static model and totally inferior to Academy’s M113. Only! Academy does not make a M106

The Danish versions had some alterations made. The 107mm mortar was changed to a 81mm of a Danish design. To accommodate this mortar the mortar consul at the floor was changed too. As the ammunition collies are smaller new ammunition racks were installed alongside some other alterations to the interior. What this all boils down to, is a scratch build interior. This in process topic is about my build of the interior.

This is the scratch build mortar. Most of it is made of Evergreen styrene products with some parts form mu spare part box. A part of the frame from an etch set has been used too.

The following pictures shows both the unpainted as well as the painted interior

Yes I know the racks could have been straighter but hopefully it does not show when the top has been fixed. It is mostly build en .5 and .3 styrene plates.

The interior is painted with Humbroll 150, weathered with oils and MIG pigments.

Kenneth
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC
Great scratchbuild of the M125 and overall very nice interior. Can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Paul
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:09 AM UTC
Here are some resent pictures of my project. Though it doesn’t seem as much it never the less was time consuming.

There are only tree applications to make to the kit. A box on the left side for the field mount of the mortar, a plate for the mortar on he right side and a mount for the light machine gun instead of the .50 cal. There are also some changed to the lights as the Danish version did not use standard light arrangement.
The applications are mostly made of plastic card and parts from my spare part box. The left hand side box turned out to be some pain to make; only in 3. attempt did it succeed. The plate however was really not that difficult once I had figured out it’s complicated structure. The mount for the light machine gun was something I had done before so that was familiar area to work with

Another time consumer – but a much more irritating one - was filling of holes and poor alignment of the major parts. However there are also many small improvements to add to the kit. This underlines the fact that it IS an old kit that you have to prepare to work with to get a good result.

mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 12:53 AM UTC
Question:

Could one mix the Academy M113 with the Tamiya Parts that are M106 specific?
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
Interesting. I've never seen that type of mount for the MG3. Great job on the base plate and bipod box. I especially like what you've done with the chains to release the rear hatches.

If you haven't noticed you've got a nasty pinhole on one of the periscopes on the TC cupola.

Paul
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Dear Michael

yes you can - and I wich I had . It would have saved me a bondel of time. As you can tell from the picture a lot of the parts are taken from Academy's anyway.

Kenneth
keo
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC

Dear Poul

The MG3 mount is of a Danish design originally made for a scout version of the M151 Ford Mutt jeep.

Yes (he said embarrassingly) I have noticed the sinkhole – only not until after I have come quit fare into the paint job. A tankers helmet will have to cover that blunder I’m afraid
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Great work Ken, and nice attention to detail.
 _GOTOTOP