_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-64A M1975 at working
Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hi every one, I am new one, glad to join this FORUMS.

This is SKIF kit, with Eduard's PE, just finish assembled,ready to paint

thanks
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 05:50 PM UTC
That main gun barrel you got there looks terrible; just look at badly oversized fume ejector. It really doesn't hold up to the amount of work you've put into making Skif's turret look okay.
Yoni_Lev
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:15 PM UTC

I did a few double takes on those pics, because I wasn't sure if the main gun was truly off, or if my eyes were playing tricks on me!

As George said, all the work on the turret goes out the window with that gun looking as out of proportion as it does. Is it the Barrel Depot piece?

-YL

Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi George, you a right ,the gun barrel is terrible,it is Barrel Depot kit, it is the only metal gun barrel i can get easily , can you tell me where can i get a better one?
thanks
or i should relpace it by the plastic one from TAMIYA's T-72
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 09:56 PM UTC
Tamya's gun barrel can't be fit to Soviet MBT, it is supposed to replicate license piece made in Poland or Czechoslovakia. The only good AM replacement I personally may recommend is the Modelpoint 2A46 (not M) 125mm barrel. Some places you can find it at:
MP page at Tank Workshop.com
Modelpoint.US
Dunno if there are any shops close to you that sell MP products.
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 11:26 PM UTC
The Barrel Depot 2A46M barrel fot the T-80. Is that a good one?

Lars
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Is it the Barrel Depot piece?

I'd bet big money it is. They make lot's of money selling crap.

Why is that? Is it only this one or are all their barrels bad? Just wondering....... in case I might be thinking of buying one of their product in the future.

Matthijs
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Barrel Depot 2A46M barrel fot the T-80. Is that a good one?

Lars

NO, the Barrel Depot 2A46 is a turned aluminium copy of the DML T-80's barrel, it has the same inaccuracies than the kit provided barrel (thickness, length and misplaced bore evacuator) I think Model Point or Eduard barrels are better options. BTW Guanghui, you T-64 looks really good, I like the added work a lot, but I don't like that barrel, better you replace it. Thanks for sharing. Reiter960: Is that true? Tamiya 2A46 Barrel depicts a licence-built 2A46, how do you know that? which are the differences between a license-built and a soviet-built?. Thanks in advance.

José
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why is that? Is it only this one or are all their barrels bad? Just wondering....... in case I might be thinking of buying one of their product in the future.

Almost all the Barrel Depot barrels are just turned copies of the kit one. So it depends if they got it right in the kit. The only ones I like by them are their 105MM and 90MM barrels, but that doesn't do you much good for Russian built stuff.

thx for the warning, It's a nice example of AM stuff selling people trying to get our hard earned money It's almost as annoying as the guy that tried to sell me a very expensive 10.000 parts Stryker slat armour PE kit with the comment "when you get to the painting stage it's not so difficult anymore"
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
Very nice build from a very mediocre kit. Several of the detail changes you have made look very convincing.

I concure on the barrel. One other option for you is to use the T-80U barrel from SP Designs kit 216. It would be for a more modern version of the T-64 (2A46M-3 for the M1993 T-80U?) but it is accurate, very close in comparison to the Miniarm barrel. I prefer the Miniarm barrels to Model Point personally, if I have to pay that cost.

SP Designs can be bought from me personally at SAAMMODELS or from Historica Books. While the barrel itself is not for individual sale, it can be bought.
VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC
Hi Guanghui,

nice work on this terrible kit. Esp. I like your turret-work. I know what I'm talking about, as I struggle with this kit since weeks. Nearly everything is off size/scale/place.

And while Eduard's PE set may be of some help in certain aspects, it just substitutes some errors in PE! As I see, you didn't glue the "gill-armour" in place, so there might be the chance to fix the attachments. Here http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV/Littlefield/T72/T72_22.jpg is a pic of how they look alike on T-72. And as far as I remember T-64 had them fitted the same way. Eduard just replicated the kits approach, only thinner, whereas the real thing is fitted to rods and secured with tiny chain-hooks...

Carry on and keep us informed.

Best wishes

Volker
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Almost all the Barrel Depot barrels are just turned copies of the kit one. So it depends if they got it right in the kit. The only ones I like by them are their 105MM and 90MM barrels, but that doesn't do you much good for Russian built stuff.

I didn't know that. It just shows you doesn't it ? Just because it's AM doesn't make it good / right.

Cheers

Paul
Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guanghui,

nice work on this terrible kit. Esp. I like your turret-work. I know what I'm talking about, as I struggle with this kit since weeks. Nearly everything is off size/scale/place.

And while Eduard's PE set may be of some help in certain aspects, it just substitutes some errors in PE! As I see, you didn't glue the "gill-armour" in place, so there might be the chance to fix the attachments. Here http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV/Littlefield/T72/T72_22.jpg is a pic of how they look alike on T-72. And as far as I remember T-64 had them fitted the same way. Eduard just replicated the kits approach, only thinner, whereas the real thing is fitted to rods and secured with tiny chain-hooks...

Carry on and keep us informed.

Best wishes

Volker

Hi Volker,thank you for your photo,that's what i am looking for, so i can changer this part.
Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 11:20 PM UTC
About Barrel Depot's gun barrel, this is a review by Jacques https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/1652

i do not like the Barrel Depot's kit,but it is my only choice, now ,i decide to replace it, and other place.
Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 02:21 PM UTC
thank every one
new gill-armour has finished and new gun barrel from TAMIYA's kit.

if some place is still wrong,tell me
VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
Hi Guanghui,

great progress! (I wish mine would make up speed as half as yours)

An easy to fix addition would be the horizontal rib on the lower front fenders. Much more effort are the lower hull attachments for the mine-clearing device, which are located wrong (spacing!) in the kit and the dozer blade which has to be much wider. These are the areas I'm actualy struggling with on my build. I can't see whether you adressed that...

For inspiration: http://vif2ne.ru/smf/stuff/Megas/000013C403523A9A/2402.jpg
The site att all is worth having a look : http://vif2ne.ru/smf/forum/gallery/Megas/000013C403F47903/get

Carry on with your great work!

Volker
Blucop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 11:54 PM UTC
Wow, those links were to one magnificent T-64BV. I can't say I agree with the builder though when he said he is a "beginner".

Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:21 PM UTC
thank Volker
About the dozer blade and attachments for the mine-clearing device, they are too late to change........
but i have changed some other details,and have painted surfacer.

ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 08:42 PM UTC
This is very well done Guanghui !

Congratulations so far

I'm looking forward to the paint job.

This thread make me fell like doing some Soviet armor !!

Cheers

Paul

Guanghui
Visit this Community
Shanghai, China / 简体
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 03:19 AM UTC
just painted

rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
Looking good. What color did you use for the green?
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 06:56 AM UTC
Really Nice work Fan
It seems that you have been struggling to have it right.
But it is really great
Cheers
Seb
 _GOTOTOP