_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
General question about Vietnam guntrucks
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
One thing I wondered when I've seen pictures: did the designers of the guntrucks deliberately try to make them as visible as possible to "hypnotize" ambush attackers into shooting at them instead of other soft-skinned vehicles? And if so, presumably the armored bed section would be made to stand out as much as possible for the same reason, to make the enemy shoot at the armor plated areas and try to distract them from the more vulnerable areas (at least initially), such as the engine, wheels, etc.?
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC
Our 8th Group Commander gave his thumbs up and let the crews paint their trucks black and add the graphics to them. It was a sign of pride and a lot like the bomber pilots of WW 2 when they painted their nose art on the planes. Many of the gun trucks had bounties placed on them by the NVA. The Brutus for example had a million dollar bounty on it. Also the Group commander had all the 8th group trucks paint on the trade mark yellow nose and he wanted the gun trucks to stand out and intimidate the enemy. He also could see when "His" trucks were out in force because he flew above in a UH 1 a lot.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 01:58 PM UTC
I figures names and artwork were morale boosters, but I was thinking that gunners would be prompted to shoot at that prominently marked armored truck which could shoot back at them as opposed to that nearby transport truck full of flammable gasoline.
Removed by original poster on 11/05/08 - 10:08:22 (GMT).
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I figures names and artwork were morale boosters, but I was thinking that gunners would be prompted to shoot at that prominently marked armored truck which could shoot back at them as opposed to that nearby transport truck full of flammable gasoline.

Yes it is true. We were to drive out of the kill zone as fast as we could and the gun trucks crews would drive into the kill zone and draw fire so that the rest could keep going. Some times the gun trucks would push a disabled truck out of the way so the convoy could keep moving. Some of the time just having the gun truck respond was enough for the enemy to disengage and run.
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're putting way to much thought into this. It was a bunch of young kids pimping their rides, plain and simple.

Yup! Gotta have fun when you can.

Semper Fi,
Dave
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC
Speaking of Gun Trucks, are there any after market decal sheets for them? I'm thinking of names and markings.

Thanks,

Darryl
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
Archer has a couple of sheets.
Check the website.
Norm Samuelson
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
http://www.archertransfers.com/MIDEASTAFV.html

Archer Fine Transfers has a couple of nice sets at the above link, "Little Respect" and "The Red Baron"...
 _GOTOTOP