_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Question about A13 Tracks
dhmundy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
I’ve been researching my next build - the Bronco A13 - and all the research (mine and others) indicates that the top run of track usually sagged down on top of the road wheels. Unfortunately, the blogs all say that the kit tracks are too tight to do this.

Since there isn’t an aftermarket set yet, I went digging through the stash to see if there might be an alternative. What I found was the Friulmodel Crusader tracks (ATL-69). They look really similar. Does anybody know if these vehicles used the same tracks?

Anyone have any other thoughts on this - besides waiting for the AM folks?
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 02:42 AM UTC
Don,

I can't answer this question, but I too would like to know if there is a "substitute" available. Looking forward to the responses.

Mike
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 09:41 AM UTC
Well, there are no substitutes available yet and the Crusader track is _not_ the same. However, given that the tracks appear to be about 3 cm too short, ya gotta do something. Steve Zaloga just finished a build over on ML and he spliced a length of Crusader track into the bottom run between the 3rd & 4th road wheels. You can notice the difference if you're really looking, but it's pretty subtle in that location. Just make sure you line up the splices with the bottom of the two road wheels to hide them.

Paul
Removed by original poster on 11/08/08 - 17:32:54 (GMT).
dhmundy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
Thanks for pointing out the Steve Zaloga build on ML, Paul - I had not seen that yet.

After some more research, I agree, the tracks are not the same. The A13 track uses two different track plates (one with a guide that fits between the road wheels, and one that is sort of a grouser/connector) that alternate throughout the track run, where the Crusader track is your basic, single pin, track. A close look at the Bronco kit tracks even shows the alternating plates - love the detail, hate the fact that the tracks are too short.

All that being said, the difference is really hard to see, esp, in 1/35 scale, even when you know what to look for.

Since there aren’t any alternatives available to get the track sag (and it just doesn’t seem right without it) I’m thinking about committing the ultimate sacrilege and sacrificing accuracy for appearance - using the Friulmodel Crusader tracks - at least until something better is available.

Who knows? Maybe the AM folks will come up with something before I get that far into the build, and I may not have to actually commit the evil deed
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Don

check out the news items. Broncho has just announced the release of after market tracks for this kit.

Alan
dhmundy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thanks Alan - I hadn't seen that.

Looks like I'm saved from sinning after all - although I’m probably a heretic to some folks for even considering the use of an incorrect part.

It’s a pity about having to pay Bronco more to fix the original kit - but I see that has already been covered too.
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
As was mentioned on the Bronco AM items, they (Bronco that is) really should consider giving a set of the AM tracks to those that already purchased the kit. Some proof of purchase (receipt or a pic of the individual holding the kit in their hands) would probably be required, but having made such a blunder, they should make it right.

Merely my thoughts.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP