_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Israeli Tank Transporters
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
Trumpeter puts out a Faun Tank Transporter. Would this vehicle be ok for an Israeli tank transporter?
Thanks
Mike
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
No, the IDF does not use the Faun. The Faun is used by Germany and a few other European countries. The IDF uses mostly commercial trucks as tank transporters. They have lots of Volvos and Ivecos, etc..
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 05:40 AM UTC
And others as well. I've seen Mercedes-Benz in the mix, too. They all are COE tractors, and seem to be universally white (cheapest, I imagine). Going back in years they have used conventional Mack tractors and the WW2 Diamond-T/Rogers trailer combo.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hay Mike the guys are right on all the different types of COE Tractors that are bing use in Israel. As of right now the Volvo FH or FL types, but in these photos I have for you are of the Mercedes 2655 LS 6X4 Tractor. Now I know you realy cant see that Tractor all that well but here's some photos.

Here a photo of that cab, the Mercedes 2655 LS 6X4 Tractor.

Now in this next photos I know that the Tractor here is a Volvo FH16. As I have seen many photos where the Merkava MK II and III bing pulled be a Volvo and not a Mercedes, Like they do now with the Mrekava MK IV.

A MK II with Volvo Tractor:

Rear view of MK III with Volvo:

The Volvo FH16 520 6X4 Tractor Truck:

Here's some links that may help you even more.
Volvo Tank Transporters:
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/volvotransporters.html

Mack Tank Transporters:
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/macktransporters.html

Man Tank Transporters:
http://idfmodelling.free.fr/mantransporters.html

Just copy and past the links in your web search space on your tool bar. Now from the photo's I posted you can see that the lowboy or flatbed is made a bit diffent from the ones here in the US. You may have to scratch build your own or not as I realy don't know if there's one made from a resin kit yet.

Here's some more photos from around the web. (Some maybe Black & White):
Mack:

M9:

Well I found a resin kit of that transporter, I just done see the scale. Here's a photo and link.

http://www.aefdesigns.com/Israile_Images/Israeli_Armor_2.htm
Man that thing's 155.oo bucks you would do better to scratch build your own. (That's up to you!)
An Image of that flatbed in 1:1 scale.

I'm going to look up a 1/35 kit of the Volvo FH-16 Globetrotter and once I find it I will post a link with photos. All I know it that the truck is realy under a 1/32 scale name but it will fit in to the 1/35 section well. There are a lot of 1/25 scale out there and we dont wont that.

Wate wate I just found it, it's a Die Cast 2005 Rossi 1:32 Volvo FH-16, Yamaha Racing Team Truck. "HA" Ok here's photo, I don't have a link yet but I'm still looking.

As you have seen in my project Merkava Mk III/D BAZ build. Once I get it done I will then build a flatbed and if I can get the Volvo FH16 or scratch bulid one for my self. Good luck wit your project.

I must say if you don't feel like do all this go on and use the model in wich you have just point out to evey one that your not using the right type. Till you get the right type. (It's up to you my friend!)

"Later yall"
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 02:19 AM UTC
that resin trailer is from AEF designs you can also get the MACK tractor. or buy them seperate. Both are based off 1/32 kits, so the trailer would work if you used the 1/32 Volvo tractor. http://www.aefdesigns.com/Israile_Images/Israeli_Armor_2.htm scroll to the bottom
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information.
Mike
This post was removed.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC
Go two new photos from the front.

Here's one more I found in my file, you can see the cab words a bit better.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Many thanks for those photos Capt.Caveman! Not really into the truck rig topic too much,it is interesting to a point.The real photo value to me is how light/overcast values and camera distance change the color of the armor. It's a real hard task to get that right or close on a build and these photos show great examples of how the eye interprets it.
Cheers!
Rick
juljon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi all

A E F Designs do an Israeli Transporter in 1/35th scale

Regards

Juljon
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all

A E F Designs do an Israeli Transporter in 1/35th scale

Regards

Juljon

And don't even think of laying out money for it unless you are holding the one you might buy in your hands and have had a good look through it!

Caveat emptor.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP