_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
KING TIGER ARDENNES 1944
Brad-M
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 393 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Hi Gerald,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and info, it's appreciated.

Brad

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi,

Did you state that this tank had zimmerit? I don't see any in this photo, plus why would Dragon issue this boxing, which is a "one off" without zimmerit, if the actual tank had it, then release a new kit with zimmerit, without these markings??

Brad

Quoted Text

Rot Oxid primer as camo color will remain one of the most hotly debated points concerning camouflage. My personal take is it didn't happen.

But, regarding this, when the isue was given to sparingly apply camo over the Rot Oxid, tanks were finished in hard edge at the factories, no longer in the field.

Here is a very nice shot of 1+09 taken after the Battle of the Bulge:

The Zimmerit pattern is hard to see when the photo is this small, but larger reproductions of this other other photos of the 506th Battalion in the Ardennes show the coating in place. Only a handful of tanks delivered in August and September, 1944, had the experimental new pattern tracks and 18 tooth sprockets, and apparently, all went to the 506th. Once field reports confirmed the success of the new track design, it was approved for production, but the stock of old tracks had to used up first, so it it doesn't reappear until March of 1945, and then only on a few tanks delivered just before the factory was surrounded in the Ruhr Pocket. These did not have Zimmerit, but did have some very late features (additional fuel tank vent lines, rain guard over the gunner's sight, and reinforcements on the curved front mudguards).

clint44
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
[quote]It looks great, but it's not historically accurate.

1+09 and the others outfitted with the single link tracks had Zimmerit and soft-edge camouflage.[/quote

i think this 1 + 03 can be done without zimmerit

http://www.oldhickory30th.com/Tiger%20II%20south%20Bastogne%2035th%20ID.jpg

Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC

Very very nice, I love the running gear, perfect replication of mud, dirt and dust, with varying color n shade, love it.

On the the subject of "hard edge" vs "soft edge" well, in 1/35th scale soft edge would look like hard edge, in other words when you shrink a king tiger with soft edge down to 1/35th scale, the soft edge would vanish and become hard edge.

On the subject of Red Oxide, I have read in many books that late war armor was shipped out in just Red Oxide, it was then left to the units receiving this armor to Camo them.
Whether this apply's to Tigers in the Ardennes Offensive is a moot point.

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the subject of Red Oxide, I have read in many books that late war armor was shipped out in just Red Oxide, it was then left to the units receiving this armor to Camo them.

Hi Matthew

would you please list those books that state this, as I can find no evidence of this statement in publications I've read.

Alan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
Everything looks just right. The only problem I can see is that you may want to add a little more rust to the tracks and the running gear. I say this because, the spare links you have on the turret seem a little more worse for wear. That is an amazing job on the camo and really all the way around. I used to have some rattle can red oxide, but wasted most of it on Tigers I never completed. Now, it is no longer sold and I have to pay twice the price for MM color.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Matthew

would you please list those books that state this, as I can find no evidence of this statement in publications I've read.

Alan

Hi Matthew

Don't seem to see the list of publications you mentioned - " I have read in many books that late war armor was shipped out in just Red Oxide, it was then left to the units receiving this armor to Camo them" despite you visiting the site several times and adding postings elsewhere.

Alan
 _GOTOTOP