_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Campaigns
Group builds and online competetions. Join the fun!
Hosted by Darren Baker
Battle of the Bulge
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
Here is my latest work:

It's the Dragon, M4A3 Sherman Tank from the Battle of the bulge. I am quite proud of the rear of the tank with the mud splatter as well as the detail on the tools and such.
The snow really worked out well with just a light dusting on everything.

Please provide some feedback as this is the first model for me in a few years. A bit rusty.

Thanks.

youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 03:14 PM UTC
Is it possible to post the image code within your post instead of a link to yahoo?

When we use your link we are asked to sign into a yahoo account, which I do not have, therefore I cannot see your work.

Chas
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 09:09 PM UTC
Following on from what Chas said, I have a Yahoo account and logged on via that - only to get an error message saying

"Ooops - this page is private. You do not have permission to view"

It really would be best if you could upload your pics to the Kitmaker network.

It's a bit of a rigmarole at first (until you've done it a couple of times), but really is the best way for folks here to see your work.

Otherwise I fear that no-one will be able to view your pictures at all.

- Steve
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:24 AM UTC
Ok..there we go. Posted!
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Ok, I think I finally fully corrected the pictures. They should all be availble for viewing now.

You know, I think I like looking at the pictures of this model more than the actual model. Must be the lighting or something.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Great snow - you've got the amount of snow 'dusting' just right, I think, and not fallen into the trap that some guys fall into of having great heaps of the stuff all over the vehicle.

The tank on the whole looks good, although looking at the picture taken from the rear I'm not too sure about the tracks. A little too rusty perhaps (remember that these were hard rubber tracks with metal treads - and rubber doesn't rust!).

And the figures look very good from where I'm sitting.

All in all - great effort, and thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

- Steve
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 07:00 AM UTC
You know, I was looking at the tracks as more muddy than rusty, esp with going thru dirt and snow. I probably should have showed the tracks in the ground but I didn't have much room plus I wanted it to look as if a dusting of snow has come while it sat there, coverng up the tracks the tank left.

I should probaby add some snow to the treads a bit more.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it Steve.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You know, I was looking at the tracks as more muddy than rusty, esp with going thru dirt and snow. I probably should have showed the tracks in the ground but I didn't have much room plus I wanted it to look as if a dusting of snow has come while it sat there, coverng up the tracks the tank left.

I should probaby add some snow to the treads a bit more.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I really appreciate it Steve.

You're welcome.

I wouldn't overdo the snow on the tracks or the running gear, because if the tank is constantly on the move, snow isn't going to accumulate too much there.

Maybe a bit of packed snow in the gaps between the treads, but not too much (the old saying "less is more" often holds true).

But if you're happy with it the way it is - then leave it. Because that's the main thing, it's your build after all. And if everything's secured in place on the base, I'd be inclined to leave it rather than to risk screwing the whole thing up by trying to "improve" it (been there, got the T-shirt!).

And I reiteriate - the figures look great from here!

- Steve

modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi Sladog,
Very nice effort overall but two things do poke me in the eye
The left side tracks are on backwards and the gun mantlet is on upside down-the lifting rings should be on top-this would also allo the gunner to see through the sights and keep the co-ax .30 bullets from bouncing back into the turret

Mike T
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 09:52 AM UTC
Ugh! I gotta check out those tracks when I get home. This was my first (and last) Dragon kit. It was horrible! They put serial numbers EVERYWHERE on thing thing including right on top of the tank!!! The treads were a pain in the rear as well!

Thanks for the additional feedback. I love it!
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ugh! I gotta check out those tracks when I get home. This was my first (and last) Dragon kit. It was horrible! They put serial numbers EVERYWHERE on thing thing including right on top of the tank!!! The treads were a pain in the rear as well!

Sladog - those numbers are supposed to be there. They were cast like that on the originals at the factory (see here for examples among lots of other useful photos of the real thing):

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/tanks/sherman/eng.htm

Don't be too hard on Dragon. Their kits are generally aren't as easy to build as Tamiya for example, but the standard is for the most part higher in terms of engineering & accuracy. I'm just finishing a Dragon Sherman M4A3E8 myself, and have quite enjoyed doing it.

The Sherman guys who hang out here though seem to swear by Tasca kits as being the best there is for Shermans, so you may want to take a look at them next time (I don't claim to be any sort of Sherman expert, and I've never built a Tasca, so I can't comment first hand).

Mike' s quite right about the mantlet - definitely upside down (didn't spot that first time). But don't beat yourself up too much about the track being the wrong way round: Even the modelling legend Shep Paine built a Sherman with a track on the wrong way round, photos of which ended up in his famous book on how to build dioramas, and the great Belgian modeller Marijn Van Gils has a published Bergepanther with an unintentionally crooked track. So if people like Shep and Marijn can make mistakes like that, I guess any of us can!

- Steve
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 12:09 PM UTC
I've just worked with Tamiya for so long, I got used to their kits and have really enjoyed them.

I think part of the reason for the screwups is that I get impatient towards the end and tend to rush things when really, I have all the time in the world so don't know why I rush.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 02:44 PM UTC
Don'tworry too much about the track-Ibuilt an M4A2 from Guam with one set reversed-was like that in a photo-so it's been done in real life at least once. It's possible that it's happened in Europe as well but finding a photo to prove it may be difficult.
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Sladog,
Very nice effort overall but two things do poke me in the eye
The left side tracks are on backwards and the gun mantlet is on upside down-the lifting rings should be on top-this would also allo the gunner to see through the sights and keep the co-ax .30 bullets from bouncing back into the turret

Mike T

Mike's right. The mantlet should be easy to fix - just remove it and install it right side up. Not sure about the left track, which is also perhaps too loose around the drive sprocket. I assume you used the kit tracks, which are a lady to assemble right. You may be better off with other tracks. DML's newer Sherman kits have band (one piece) tracks that are excellent.

Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 03:31 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm not about to fix the tracks. They were a bear to put together. I think they are why I rushed at the end because I was just so tired of doing the individual tracks. I much more prefer the tracks that are one piece.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 03:44 AM UTC
Don't sweat the track. It may technically be the wrong way, but I have seen a few pictures (not many, but some) of Shermans with the tracks the wrong way around. One was in Italy, two others were in France. So it did happen.

Nice dio indeed. What did you use for the snow?

Cheers
Henk
Sladog
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 05:43 AM UTC
Baby Powder for the snow. Sprinkled it on as the plaster was still drying. Then, sprayed with hair spay then more powder.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 05:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon has since rereleased the kit with some detail improvements (as the M4A3 Premium Edition) and have included soft DS plastic one-piece tracks. They are slide molded, so the edge detail is as good as link to link, and they assemble with regular plastic cement. Dragon will also begin selling these separately through their Cyber Hobby subsidiary shortly.
 _GOTOTOP