_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
US Military Wheeled Vehicle Designations
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
I figured this would be a good introduction post for me.

My name is Joe Trevithick and I recently contacted Patrick Keenan of WarWheels.net about a project I had been working on for some time: a listing of US Military Wheeled Vehicle Designations. Patrick was nice enough to put it up on his website for me in pdf format.

I realized that WarWheels had forums associated with it, and I though I might join if only to get some feedback about this project. I welcome constructive criticism, corrections, and additions. I make no claims to the list other than it being 100% what I knew at the time I put it down. I've already been working on updating it and I've made some corrections not up online yet.

I hope people find the list useful and just detailed enough to get a good idea of what the vehicle is. That was the purpose, since often times designations are just thrown around or otherwise inserted without any clear indication of what the differences or relationships were, are, will be, or have been. These lists are worthless if I just keep them to myself, so enjoy.
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC
A big welcome to Joe. Thanks again for giving us access to your designation listing. It's a nice addition to WarWheels.

We look forward to other stuff from you too!!
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Well I'm chugging along on updating and adding to the current list, but I've also been thinking recently of starting a "prime mover" guide.

The idea behind this is that often, especially for electronic equipment, the carrier vehicle/prime mover for the system did not receive a special designation. Therefore its often difficult to quickly determine the vehicle type in question. The list would have the common name of the system, the nomenclature of the system or major components, and the prime mover (or truck-trailer combo). I've already been thinking this could easily be expanded to artillery as well.

Electronic systems would probably be priority. Any additional group interest in such a project?
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:03 AM UTC
I've started a little work on what I'm currently calling the "Prime Mover Guide." Right now, its broken up into 3 columns, with one for the common name of the system carried, its major components, and the prime mover/s.

An example of an entry has FAAR (Forward Area Alerting Radar) in the first column, three components in the middle column (the radar, targeting computer, and generator, with the first two noted to be in an S-250 shelter and the last noted to be in the trailer) and the last column has the full nomenclature of both the M561 Gama Goat and M101A2 trailer.

Does this seem useful? Would there be anything else people would be looking for?
 _GOTOTOP