_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-55 AM2B Conversion Set???
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 09:49 AM UTC
Greetings Everyone!

I typically spend months prior to starting my next build doing research and I have a question to post to this discussion forum.

I was looking at building a T-55 AM2B in Czech service and have come across two conversion sets and was looking to see if there was any recommendation for one over the other. So far I've found CMK's T-55 AM2B conversion and AEF Design's T-55 AM2B conversion.

Has anyone use either and would like to provide me with some feedback on these conversion sets and they're experience with either before I pick one of the other up??? Thanks in advance!!

Carmen
csmanning
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 333 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
Thanks Gary! I was hoping to get a reply from you. Cheers!!

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks Gary for the putting up this review again.
I would add to everyone's attention that none of the reviewed kits issue new sprockets nor RMSh tracks. And this is a major feature of the T-55AM2s. I can say that Panzershop set was issued with Friul tracks but even though the T-72 sprocket is not the good one. Some extra work should be done anyway.
The only solution I heard of is a track set from WWII Productions from Australia coming with RMSh links and correct modified T-55 sprockets but I can't swear it's right as there is no pictures available so far.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks Gary,
I should have noticed them when browsing ML
supertyax
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
Hi Olivier

The tracks from ww2 productions dont fit the sprocket!, this was the reason for using the MK set... but i can confirm the set of T-72 track from Miniarm[ which imo] are superior in detail than other sets DO fit the WW2 sprocket..

Andy
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Olivier

The tracks from ww2 productions dont fit the sprocket!, this was the reason for using the MK set... but i can confirm the set of T-72 track from Miniarm[ which imo] are superior in detail than other sets DO fit the WW2 sprocket..

Andy

Unfortunately for me, you're the second one to tell this about the tracks too wide for the sprocket
Another point, WWII have two refs for T-55 tracks : one I would name standard tracks and one set named RMSh tracks. From which did you get your correct sprocket ?
Maybe you have the right ref number.

TIA
Olivier
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
I just had a look on my WW2 tracks+sprocket, the problem seems easy to fix, you need to put a 0.3 or 0.4mm of plastic card between the 2 parts of the sprocket and it will work fine.
I tried too with friul T72 tracks and it was good.
Hopes this help.
Stéphane
 _GOTOTOP