_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Dragon's Shilka Kits.... Question
AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 05:37 PM UTC
Gentlemen,

Can anyone discuss for me the differences between the two Shilka kits that Dragon has available under different part numbers?

#3518 ZSU-23-4M Shilka

#3521 ZSU-23-4V1 Shilka

Beyond the obvious numeric designations, I do not know much about these vehicles or kits. I suspect one is probably an upgrade / later variant? Please educate me, I'm eager to learn

Andy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 05:46 PM UTC
In reality, the M is a newer, updated version with new guns and other features, mostly internal. Between the two kits, the only difference is decal options. I don't think there are any different pieces in them.

Here is some more info on the actual vehicles:

ZSU-23-4V1 "Shilka" (1970): modernized variant with enhanced reliability of radar system and other details, ventilation system cases located on front bilges of the turret. Guidance-system computer was improved (as well as accuracy and efficiency of anti-aircraft fire on the move at 40 km/h). It is fitted with a slightly improved diesel engine V-6R-1.

ZSU-23-4M "Biryusa" (1973): armed with modernized autocannons 2A7M - pneumatic loading was replaced with pyrotechnic loading (unreliable compressor was removed), welded tubes of coolant outlet were replaced with flexible pipes which increased autocannon barrel life from 3500 rounds to 4500 rounds.
AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 06:06 PM UTC
Thanks, Gino.

As with aircraft kits, I was wondering if the contents of the box really matched the designation on the boxtop. Thanks for the heads-up.

Andy
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 06:32 PM UTC
IIRC, the 'M' kit has an additional stowage box/bin thingy on the turret top. Pretty technical description,eh?

Jim
gr-tanker
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2008 - 08:55 PM UTC
one other difference is the price tag.... the V1 is almost double price ...
Violetrock
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC
You can build both versions from either kit. The parts marked as not used in one kit are for the other version and vice versa.
I think it was one part for one and two parts for the other version.
Thomas
AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 09:50 AM UTC
Thanks for all the replies, gents. Price was definitely a factor on this one. Just wondering if there was something special about one kit that made it cost virtually double the other one.

Evidently, no major differences. I look forward to adding the Shilka to my 'target' collection.

Andy
AH1Wsnake
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 07:35 PM UTC
Received my V1 Shilka in the mail today from SprueBros. On the sprue layout in the instructions, there is only one sizeable part that is greyed out as not used. Appears to be a hatch or other access door. That's it. So there really is not a multitude of parts left over for 1 of 2 versions in one box.
No matter to me, as I simply wanted a 1/35 ZSU-23-4 for the display shelf. I'll happily build the V1 versus the M, and did not have a particular preference anyways. But maybe for someone searching for info on the kits in the future, it will help to know that the boxings do appear to be different versions. For the record, the V1 kit I have comes with the following labeled parts trees (vehicle identifiers are stamped on the sprues themselves):

Tree A: indie track sprue, is marked as 'ZSU-23-4'
Tree B: hull sides & engine grille, is marked 'ZSU-23-4V1'
Tree C: lower turret & radar sprue, is marked as 'ZSU'
Tree D: upper hull & turret sprue, is marked as 'ZSU-23'
Tree E: guns & roadwheels, no other tree markings other than 'E'
lower hull is seperate & unmarked

Apparently, it appears that parts on tree B are specific enough for the V1 version only. Curiously, the tree with the guns on it is not marked for any version -- one wonders if this tree could differ in the M boxing, since the guns were one of the Shilka's upgrades there. The rest of the sprues appear to be marked to be boxed in either kit.

The V1 boxing includes decals for Egypt, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Poland, USSR, Afghanistan, and Hungary.
 _GOTOTOP