_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Small Scale
Dioramas of subjects smallers than 1/32 scale.
Hosted by Darren Baker
gun straps
houdini
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:11 PM UTC
i dont know how to make a gun strap for a 1/35 figure, if any body has any suggestions they could give me that would be great thanks
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 02:20 PM UTC
Some people use masking tape cut thin. I use tin foil cut thin and then glue it to your weapon and then paint. Some people use the foil around the top of wine bottles as well.
Hope this helps.

HastyP
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 01:04 PM UTC
You can also buy lead foil. One source in the US is Squadron Mail Order This stuff works great. You can also use eletrician's tape. Just make sure you use some sort of solvent to remove glue from the sticky side.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
Several options not yet mentioned... I like to cut thin strips of ofld fashioned aluminum foil, doubled over for a little thickness. Easy to bend and glue in place. Does need to be primed however.

Another thing I use is really thin strip of EverGreen or Plastruct styrene plastic. I run the strip between my thumnail and finger quickly to creat a curved arch, then glue in place and use a candle to soften the plastic so I can insert some folds and twists... doen't need priming. I usually apply this to the plastic gun before mounting or painting if at all possible.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 06:53 PM UTC
Ola Houdini

Just as Keith I use the Aluminum foil method. I cut thin strips from those aluminum pie trays fold that double and on the loose ends I bend the one inside over the other. and then glue it after priming onto the gun. Works really well and looks good too

invictis
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi,

I use simple paper, glue it to the gun or machine gun, then I put some diluted white glue on the paper strip so it hardens a bit and paint it up as leather, easy done it, I use lead foil for 1:16 models though, but paper works fine on 1:35,
greetz,

Alco
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:09 PM UTC
I use the lead foil I found around the neck of wine bottles for the following reasons:

- it's easy to shape
- it can be glued with superglue
- it takes paint very well
- it's very realistic

Ciao
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 06:17 AM UTC
My dad's something of a wine connaisseur and so I have access to a lot of lead foil. I have found that differnet kinds of wine may have different thickness of lead foil. Something else to think about, anyway.

Nic
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
This has been discussed in length before, but I'll gladly repeat it. Heck, I'll even give it a try myself after posting this.

1. Select fine bottle of wine or champaign from cellar (MUST have lead foil top).
2. Place in room to adjust to room temperature for a few hours (for champaign, place in fridge or cool cellar instead)
3. Remove lead foil carefully, trying to keep the useful surface as large as possible
4. Flatten lead foil on hard table top and rub with round bottom of spoon to get it all flat
5. Cut away excess bits till you end up with nice flat piece of lead
6. Open bottle. Let breathe for a while (in case of champaign remove cork from mother-in-law's left eye after opening)
7. Cut lead with metal ruler and X-acto or surgical knife to straight edge
8. Cut away a strip of correct "strap" width (generally between .3 and 1 mm)
9. taste wine
10. add strap to weapon or other part of diorama
11. Cut to size
12. Drink glass and rest of bottle.

Repeat strap for every strap you need to make. Making more than one strap per bottle is a proof of disrespect for wine and gives you a nasty hangover.

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
So NOW the truth comes out... not only is Jan a glue-sniffer, but an avowed wino as well! Welcome to Diorama-holics Anonymous!
 _GOTOTOP