_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
how many projects at once ?
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
I have I think to many things going at once? but , it keeps me moving and keeps me thinking and most importantly keeps me from not getting board ! So I guess the question is how many projects do you guy's got going at once ? Is it a bad thing to have a couple projects going? I am doing a large armor dio and I have to keep moving around to different things in the dio and then wait so I start on something else then have to wait so I just eep moving. So the main question is how many do you guy's work on or have going at once. Not started and just never picked it back up but keep moving between?

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY, INF
cheetah
Visit this Community
South Africa
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 02:42 AM UTC
SGT. Busche,

This is what I have going at the moment:

M-18 Hellcat for the diorama I'm currently busy with (This takes up most of my time)

Tamiya M32A2 Halftrack

AFV M88A1 Recovery Vehicle

Tamiya SAS Jeep + VP update set for SAS Jeep

Sdkfz 7/2 3.7cm Flak 37

All of them will be in a diorama though. Not to worry, I have my eye on another in our Hobby Shop!

Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC
Usually 3 or 4 but I always TRY to only do one at a time(can't remember when the last time was that I only had one on the bench)...Currently working on a Tamiya M-1 Abrams, Academy Tiger I, and an MPC '74 Firebird(YUK I hate car models)....
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
For Me I only have one project going on at a time. But when I am not working on it directly. I am focusing on research material and Asking myself "What else can I do to improve the model" Is there anything else that I can add to help make it look better ?? and so I start researching that area too. I would love to someday do a DIO but currently the lack of proper space in my living area. (NO I DON"T LIVE IN A BOX ) LOL, BUT I DO live in an Apartment and that's limited enough. / prevents me from doing something that HUGE. much less to display it. So One step at a time. One Project at a time. But that's plenty. And It keeps me focused enough. Sopmetimes I even go to bed still thinking about it. besides that I've taken up the hobby of photograping my models too.

DAGGER : A weapon with a short pointed Blade: "THE CUTTING EDGE"
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have I think to many things going at once?

Same here, and nothing seems to get finished..

Mario M.

CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 04:19 AM UTC
Jack is going to wax a little philisophical here.........Ah no I hear you sigh, not again!!
I constantly have several on the run (projects that is). this helps to avoid stagnation, and makes you feel as if you are trudging ahead, through that great plastic minefield in thesky! One thing I force myself to follow however is me 10 piece rule. Anything that winds up on the bench, requires the addition of a minimum of 10 pieces every build session. I can alsways add more but the minimum is ten. It is amazing how quickly your projects can come to frutition with such a scheme (Geez maybe i should take out a patent!) Anyways, if you're feelin' all bogged down and blue give it a try. It just might work. Good luck, BMT,

Captain Jack
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 04:46 AM UTC
That'll mean I'll build a model in every session (using the Captain's 10 piece rule)

Just goes to show what level I'm at...
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
Let's just see what's in the shop:
M113 scratchbuild TUA scratchbuild SFOR
Uparmoured Leopard C1 KFOR
MAN 5 Ton UNIKOM Kuwait
Centurian Mk11
Gepard
Not to mention the couple of dozen kits in boxes I would love to get started.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hmmm, I believe a variant of this thread was started some time ago, but it's a pretty good one none the less. So, I'll pipe in a little here.
As to the question of "how many projects at once?" I must redirect that to the more accurate question of "how many personalities does it take to make a model?" In other words Sgt. Busche, I believe that it all depends upon the person's personality that is doing the building.
'A' type people, (of which there are a few) will generally only start one kit, and stick with it to the end. Whereas on the other hand 'B' type people, will usually start one, then open another, and have several going at once. There's no 'incorrect' # of projects to have going at any one time. As they say, "variety is the spice of life". The bottom line question after all is said and done is; " How many projects can you handle, and still have fun doing them?"
I have confidence you've already found that magical number already. By your opening statement in your post you seem to know that you're 'close'. But the rest of your post is full of positive statements in regards to how you enjoy to "keep moving" from one thing to another.
So, just relax and have confidence that when the time comes that your hobby becomes too much 'work', you'll know it.

Tread.

Geez.....I should have started this post with ...."Alright now, just lay back on the couch and relax." :-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 06:00 AM UTC
Lets take a gander over at the workdesk...it looks likes this:

Winter dio for M4 90% complete
M59 Longtom - about 50% complete
M7 Priest - 10% complete
M20 - 99% - incomplete
and 7 different figures in various stages...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC
Okay - here's photographic evidence instead of counting:

Above is my 'Painting Rack' where the individual plastic bins hold models that painting and weathering has commenced. At the bottom of the rack (red) is the top of my spray booth and below it out of the photo is my silent air compressor. I've been messing around with the motor and trying to rig-up an interior lighting system for my spray booth.

Below is my 'Ready Rack' for models in the construction and detailing phase:

Gunnie
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:45 AM UTC
Yeah...same here, too many things to distract you. however, I have started to kick my self in the butt, that way I might acctually finish something this year
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:57 AM UTC
I know I'm like the rest of you - too easily distracted. I like everything about modeling, so everywhere I look, I see something else that I'd like to get into...

Gunnie
blackwolf
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
I usually try to keep two going. Right now Im doing a dio with a Dragon Pak 38 and a Dragon SdKfz 250/1. Then Im bulding a Tamiya m106A1 heavy mortar. I find if Im doing too many things at once I start really screwing things up. Scott
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:32 AM UTC

TOO MANY!!

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
I usually have 3 to 4 going at once. I don't work on them every day, so when I do sit down for a session, I hate reaching a point where I have to stop; i.e., drying paint, letting glue set, etc. Having several projects going at once lets me work to a natural stop point on one, and then move to another. Remember, "so many models, so little time".

Mike

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hey Gunnie, you using those shelters in the 5 tons? Been looking for one cheap.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 01:03 PM UTC
I have 4 going right now. I've found it keeps me from rushing on any one model. And if I hit a snag I can switch to something else and come back to it later.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 01:29 PM UTC
For the Record, my present list of projects are:

#1 'The Untouchable' Guntruck conversion utilizing an Italeri M-925 U.S.Army 5-ton Truck as the base kit, and adding scratchbuilt armour plating from sheet styrene, 50 cal. MG's from Verlinden, Xm-134 miniguns from legend, and a small host of 'stuff' fromother source's.

#2 Academy Tiger1 kit basically OOB, plus PE kit. (thinking about ModelKasten tracks)

#3 Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen V Ausf.A OOB, plus PE. and scratchbuilt skirts.

#4 Tamiya 88mm GunFlak 36/37 OOB, thinking about whether to build it mobile to drag behind a Famo, or buy the Famo & Trailer kit and add a tank....

#5 Tamiya M20, this one is the 'back burner' now that I've seen Gunnie's

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

SGT. Busche,

This is what I have going at the moment:

M-18 Hellcat for the diorama I'm currently busy with (This takes up most of my time)

Tamiya M32A2 Halftrack

AFV M88A1 Recovery Vehicle

Tamiya SAS Jeep + VP update set for SAS Jeep

Sdkfz 7/2 3.7cm Flak 37

All of them will be in a diorama though. Not to worry, I have my eye on another in our Hobby
Shop!

Hey Cheetah, how do you like the SAS Jeep?

Tread.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunnie, you using those shelters in the 5 tons? Been looking for one cheap.

Nope - send me a private message and we'll hookup!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hey Gunnie, is your paint booth the one you (I think) told us all about at Harbour Freight for around $70.00?

Also, what's the Falcon doing in that stack, shouldn't it be in the Sci-Fi stack on the other side of the room?

Also, also, I love the idea of using those inexpensive storage boxes for keeping the 'ready to paint' models dust free and protected. I guess that's one of those ideas that is so obvious you miss it. (at least me). See what you've done now? Now I've got to run down to Target and get a half dozen of those. More stuff.

Tread.

Oh, BTW, you can't habla 'whisper' can you?
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:12 AM UTC
well atleast I know that I am not alone .

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY , INF
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gunnie, is your paint booth the one you (I think) told us all about at Harbour Freight for around $70.00?

Yes - that's it. Presently, I've got the motor out of it because I'm futzing around with ideas on lighting the interior. Yeah, I know - like I have nothing else better to do, but it sits on the second shelf of that rack - right at lap-height when sitting in the chair - perfect for airbrushing and viewing down through the clear hood. The window behind gives good light for painting & ventilation too...

Quoted Text

Also, what's the Falcon doing in that stack, shouldn't it be in the Sci-Fi stack on the other side of the room?

I used to have a Sci-Fi Rack in the closet - but I came out! Soon, the Millennium Falcon, X-Wings, and some TIE Fighters will migrate across the room to the Painting Rack - when I figure out where to park the Falcon when it's done. Finding a place to put the Dragon Wagon was bad enough...

Quoted Text

Also, also, I love the idea of using those inexpensive storage boxes for keeping the 'ready to paint' models dust free and protected. I guess that's one of those ideas that is so obvious you miss it. (at least me). See what you've done now? Now I've got to run down to Target and get a half dozen of those. More stuff.

Absolutely - I get mine when they're selling 'em for a buck a piece. No better deal than that, and they keep things neat, dust-free, and organized. Slap a label on them to remind you what's inside, and you're in business. I keep my detailing parts and conversion sets in larger plastic bins - in the photo below - so that they're close at hand when I'm modeling. The larger bins also double as transport containers for model shows - if I'm only taking a single, or pair of models, I grab one of them and take the detail parts out. All the bins are numbered so that I inventory parts and conversion sets on my spreadsheet to know where everything is later on. The aluminum bins on the bottom shelf with the silent air compressor contain the paints and cleaning solvents, and other supplies for painting. Lastly, the Painting Rack is a good place to put a model in-progress. Above the detail bins on the shelf with the Spray Booth is my Tamiya M4 Sherman (Early - but not really) that I'm painting and assembling the interior for. I lay out all the parts on a sheet of glass for air drying. I shoot Tamiya Acrylics - so air drying time is very short.

Quoted Text

Oh, BTW, you can't habla 'whisper' can you?

Only when I'm not listening :-)

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP