_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M10 Italy Cam
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
Anyone have references for a South African M10 in Blue/Black and a Sand camouflage. Used during the Italian Campaign. Looking fr any marking help as well.

Thanx

Doug
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 05:13 AM UTC
are you after the actual camoflauge or the markings?

INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC
Both if possible.

Doug
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 11:49 AM UTC
A definite maybe, Doug. Standard CW tank camo in 1943 for the MTO was a base coat of Light Mud with a disruptive pattern of Blue-Black or Dark Olive green. I do know that the British 72nd AT regiment, RA had camo'd M10's. Having said that, I must note that the TD's don't seem to have been camo'd as consistently as the tanks; and I have nothing specific in my references on the South African units. HTH,
Greg
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 01:31 PM UTC
I don't think M-10's in the MTO wore that camo, not to say it could not of happened, I just don't remember seeing photo's anywhere of one in that camo set-up.

I know the M4's and M3 Stuarts were painted that way up till early '42, (not sure on date, Greg might correct me on that one.) than switched to all sand color.

The MTO is not one of my strong points when it comes to camo pattens, but I'm learning just like you are.

Try Wikipedia.org, South African Army in WWII search. I've found some info. there that's help in the past.
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 436 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hi Doug;

sorry no joy with South African, but there is this one . It is also featured in the Concord publication "British Armor in Sicily and Italy". The colouring is Light Mud over Olive Drab. I hope that is of some help.

cheers
David
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 03:08 AM UTC
David's reference is the same one my comments were drawn from. For general camo info, Mike Starmer's booklets can't be beat. Essentially, it boils down to this: There were offcially sanctioned colors and patterns to be applied to all types of veicles, and these orders went through changes. A set was issued for Alamein and carried through the end of the campaign in Tunisia. Another set, with similar patterns but different colors, was specified for Sicily and Italy in '43. Eventually, all was superseded by straight OD/SCC15 but it is clear from photos that some tanks survived in Light Mud/Blue black to the end of the war.
 _GOTOTOP