_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
field cooler's
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
Has anyone seen a cooler like a coleman cooler. or do I have to scratch build it? Well I probly already know the answer . But ideas can't hurt . I guess that is why the fourm is here. Now this is going to be in my dio and it is moderen and with Brads and HUMMER's so do you think it will be to out of place?I think it would just shake it up a bit. Let me know .

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY, INF
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 03:43 AM UTC
:-) Verlinden does one in his Vietnam campground accessory set.

Cheers,

CJ :-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
I think I got a cooler in Academy's M163 Vulcan kit... Not shure, though. Let me take a look and I'll get back to you. Although I wouldn't spend a lot of $$$ buying the whole kit just to get a cooler.

Mario M.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:16 AM UTC
For what it is worth. Accuracy causes me to comment. I am guessing here, but the Vietnam stuff may be outdated for a Bradley - Hummer dio. We used Mermite Cans during that conflict to lift hot chow to the field. I never saw anyone ship cold Class I in a container. They usually used commercial styrofoam containers. I do not know if the Army still uses mermites. Things changed once we got the mobile kitchen units. Rob may be able to shed some light on the folks today. My tank always had a Coleman with ice in the bustle rack during hot weather.
DJ
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:30 AM UTC
Good old Mermite cans are still around. The Army also uses those 5 gallon(?) drink coolers similar to the orange Gatorade coolers that coaches get dunked with, except ours are brown with white lids. Coleman coolers do make appearances in the field today, especially since the camouflage colored ones for hunters made their appearance. I still have a Lil Playmates cooler (holds a six-pack) that is blue and white that I've used in the field since 1987.
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:04 AM UTC
I have a Coleman cooler (the rectangular sort) that was red with a white top. I spray painted it black, and a lot of the paint rubbed off, but I still use it. I used it quite a bit when I was a tanker. Most tanks will have at least one cooler on board, and often more, especially in hot climates. Us Reservists are notorious for hauling the comforts of home anywhere we go. I have seen a number of bright orange or yellow water coolers in the field, especially in the last 5 years.

Most chow halls or field kitchens will have a bunch of the brown and white water coolers, usually with juice or kool-aid in them. Also, they have the "silver bullets", which are stainless steel insulated containers used for hot liquids, usually coffee. They are called that for the shape, which is cylindrical with a rounded top. Both of these items are issue equipment, so someone is responsible for them. That means that they usually won't be seen away from a chow truck or a field mess. (That is a cool idea for a dio, though...chow truck, with soldiers and a vehicle or two.)

The mermites are on their way out, being replaced with a new system that uses shallower inserts and a more efficient, stackable thermal container made of plastic. Pretty neat system, and works well.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
Guys--thanks for bringing me up to speed. I guess my point is that the VLS Vietnam material is just that--RVN diorama related. Using it in a modern setting is subject to question. Although, I do recall a member (who I have not heard from in some time) discussing the equipment located in his National Guard Motor Pool. They had items long, long gone from the Army's inventory. Never know.
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 08:26 PM UTC
:-) Here he is beggin again!!! Anyone who can supply me with photos of this type of item, maybe in return I could produce them, and fulfill your diorama fantasies. If you got the Doc, I've got the time and facilitites to make it happen. One hand washing the other, even using a coleman cooler!!

Jack be industrious!!
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 12:26 AM UTC
OK the cooler thing is not really mil. reg. and I have seen all the large brown and white coolers that they usally put milk and juice in for those hot days, and the mermites are still used for all of y9ouor hots and I do have a few for my dio in the back of the HUMMER but I have seen the coolers out in the field for that little reward for doing a good job or and I am sure some of you will know what I am talking about when I say this but, when the officers are trying to get on the good side of the troop[s or they want you to do something!!! LOL any ways I was just wondering what you guys thought about it.

SGT.Busche
US.ARMY , INF
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
It will be interesting to see the end result of your efforts. Let us know how you come along.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP