_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Airbrushing gloss coats - how to?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi,

I can't help but feeling dumb when asking this, but how can I get good gloss coats with an airbrush?

Instead of brushing on a couple of coats of future prior to decaling, I decided to try airbrushing on my latests build. No luck with that so far.

As I've used mainly future for my gloss coats, I loaded that to my airbrush first. It goes on well, but doesn't build a gloss coat, more like a satin semi-gloss with a slightly pebbly look to it.
After doing some research and finding out that getting that pebbly finish isn't that unusual with Future, I tried Microscale's gloss. Ran into the same problem with that, the coats I get are nowhere near as gloss I'd like them to be.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a specific technique for achieving the high gloss needed for decals? I think I might not be laying down a coat heavy enough, but blasting away with a higher paintflow gives me the creeps about flooding the surface of the model, resulting in runs and other nasty results.

Future I airbrushed straight from the bottle, trying out pressures between 10 and 20 psi. Microscale's gloss I thinned 50/50 with distilled water and sprayed at around 15 psi.

Any tips and pointers are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 01:59 AM UTC
the pebbly finish you mentioned sounds like you are getting the future drying too quickly and it is causing a rough texture instead of a smooth gloss coat.

Try thinning it slightly to lengthen it's drying time, and giving a slightly heavier coat rather than dusting it. 15psi is quite low I usually spray much higher than that, and I have not had future dry to a pebbly finish.

what are the conditions where you spray ? hot/humid?

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 03:09 AM UTC
I actually use lower airpressure when using future or any other gloss coat.

As with any other paint, you want to build up multiple layers. Use your regular airpressure for a couple of dust coats, then drop your airpressure to as low as you can go and still spray, and put a heavier coat on what you are doing. When you go with the final coat, you want to spray a little heavier, and a little slower. It will probably take a little practice, so try it on something you don't care about to get the feel of it.

I Painted a Tamiya RX-7 R1 with Vallejo Copper over a black base coat. And then topped it with future for a gloss, after 3 coats using the method above....I didn't even need to polish it.

Not the greatest photo, but you can see enough of a shine in the gloss, to see a reflection of the ticket in the side of the car.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out.

As for my painting conditions, I guess it's about normal room temperature (20-22 celcius, give or take). Relative air humitidy is about 52%, of course assuming it's showing at least somewhat accurate readings.
(I knew that hygrometer I have in my room was useful some day )
monkybutt
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 381 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC
I dont even bother with all that stuff. I just use Tamiya's spray clear and it works fine!
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
I did similar. I went to walmart and bought a Krylon Gloss Clear. No problems. Also bought Krlon Matt Clear
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2013 - 01:58 PM UTC
@Eetu - did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problems with future and with the Vallejo Gloss Varnish!
 _GOTOTOP