_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Ti-67 from "The Beast" Trumpeter kit ?
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi Guys !

An interesting project would be the tank from that top movie in the late 80's "The Beast". About a Soviet Tank crew in Afghanistan, and their battle with a group of Mujahadin.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/

I'm no Soviet armor expert, however from what I've read, the tank in that movie is really a Ti-67 from Israel, and not a T-55.

Having said that (if it's true), those of you who are Soviet armor experts, and who know the details of the tanks as used in the film, would Trumpter's kit be suitable for a build of that tank ?

What modifications would be needed to get it as close as possible to the vehicle as filmed ?

An AA machine gun ?

Anything else ?

Cheers

Paul
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 09:01 PM UTC
No, the TI-67 was an upgarded T55 that was captured by Isreal. A better start would be the Tamiya T55 kit. The tank in "The Beast" started life as a T55, but it was no longer a straight T55 since it had been modified by Israel.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
Hi Gino !

Yes I hear what you're saying.

However,,,,,,, the Producers from what I'm told used Ti-67's in the Movie - NOT T-55's.

The reason was they could get them cheap.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So..................if that is the case the Tank in the movie was modified to take a few of the Israeli modifications off, and replace them with some items that would make the tank look more Soviet again.

There were however some Israeli modifications that were left on the tanks.

Confusing ?

If you are I understand.

The project would be to make the vehicle look like the "movie prop" and not like an original T-55 from "the 'ghan".

Having babbled all of that out , my question still stands, unless I'm completely wrong.

What modifications were made to the Ti-67 in the movie (to make it look Soviet again) and will the Trumpter kit be useful in making a model of this bizarre vehicle ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:40 PM UTC
Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking if you could use the new (forthcoming) Trumpeter T62 as the movie tank.

I agree with your logic that the Ti-67, with a few pieces removed or modified, would work for the movie tank. I would still start with a Tamiya T55 and add either the old Lindberg (recently re-released by Italeri) Ti-67 parts, or the Trumpeter Ti-67 parts to it. The Trumpter T55 that it is based on is horrible.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking if you could use the new (forthcoming) Trumpeter T62 as the movie tank.

I agree with your logic that the Ti-67, with a few pieces removed or modified, would work for the movie tank. I would still start with a Tamiya T55 and add either the old Lindberg (recently re-released by Italeri) Ti-67 parts, or the Trumpeter Ti-67 parts to it. The Trumpter T55 that it is based on is horrible.

Thanks Gino !

I asked the question because I have come across a VERY cheap Trumpter Ti-67 recently and I saw the movie again a little while back.

I think you're right, If I do it some time in the future the Tamiya kit should be the base.

Now I'm not sure what changes should be made to the Tamiya kit using the Ti-67 bits to mimic "The Beast".

Any tips anyone ?

Cheers

Paul

Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 02:48 AM UTC
Taking this a bit off topic.

I watched that movie when I was kid and it was a major influence in my interest in armour modeling.

The shots done from the interior were really well done. I still watch it from time to time.

Jeff
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 04:39 AM UTC
[quote]Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking if you could use the new (forthcoming) Trumpeter T62 as the movie tank.

... add either the old Lindberg (recently re-released by Italeri) Ti-67 parts...
[quote]

Please don't do that. They're very toylike. If I can find them, I'll send you the Esci parts for free. I know I have a 105 barrel as I'm looking at one. It's yours whether I find the other bits or not.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please don't do that. They're very toylike. If I can find them, I'll send you the Esci parts for free

Forgot about the Esci one. It was much better than Lindberg's version.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
[quote][quote]Sorry, I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking if you could use the new (forthcoming) Trumpeter T62 as the movie tank.

... add either the old Lindberg (recently re-released by Italeri) Ti-67 parts...

Quoted Text

Please don't do that. They're very toylike. If I can find them, I'll send you the Esci parts for free. I know I have a 105 barrel as I'm looking at one. It's yours whether I find the other bits or not.

Hi 18Bravo !

That's a fantastic offer.

So you think using tha Tamiya kit is the best option also ? I know the Trumpeter Ti-67 is missing the AA gun (as used in the Movie).

I'm still a little confused by the changes made to the vehicle. I may have to freeze some screen shots and try to work it out from some reference material.

What are the bad features of the Trumpeter kit when compared to the Tamiya T-55A ?

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Taking this a bit off topic.

I watched that movie when I was kid and it was a major influence in my interest in armour modeling.

The shots done from the interior were really well done. I still watch it from time to time.

Jeff

G'day Jeff.

Yes I think the action scenes inside the tank are brilliant too !

I love the dusty / weathered appearance of the machine and the "grimey look" of the crew. The chipping of the interior fittings are also an eye opener (they're really worn),

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

the tank in that movie is really a Ti-67

No such thing. That was a term invented by gamers and picked up by modelers. It's a Tiran 5. T54s converted by the IDF are Tiran 4s, T55s are Tiran 5s, and T62s are Tiran 6s. Yes the tank in the movie is a Tiran 5. The movie was shot in Israel.

Thanks for the tip Gary.

Yes I did a bit of research on the Web and 'read-up' on Tiran 4 & 5. Wiki IS useful for some things

I have the Trumpeter kit here in front of me and it is 'titled' Ti-67. Seeing my questions are about that kit I thought it was appropriate to call it 'that' to remove any confusion

Cheers

Paul
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
If memory serves me correctly it was a Tiran 4 with alot of the IDF fittings removed - Turret bins, rear hull basket, and uit had one the movie Dushka/.50 cal MG on the original IDF turret mount. It also had the IDF style rubber fenders and IDF lights.

This thread makes me want to watch it again soon!

18Bravo is right about using the Tamiya kit - the Trumpeter's kit has some really resilent styrene thats hard to glue and overall its clunky on the details

Chris

Maybe someone will put up some screen grabs of it......
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 08:51 AM UTC
Looks like it is a Tiran 5 guys ?

http://www.warriorsinc.com/FilmThoughts.cfm?ProjectID=7

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 09:00 AM UTC
An interesting fact !

The AA gun used on the tanks in the movie is a M2 'dressed-up" to look like a DshK

Tasca 50 cal anyone ?? I have a few in the stash

Cheers

Paul
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 04:36 AM UTC
Your post inspired me to dig out my copy of "the Beast" which, ironically, I purchased in Afghanistan, although I had seen it years earlier.

Quoted Text

The project would be to make the vehicle look like the "movie prop" and not like an original T-55 from "the 'ghan".

In that case, you'll need to make a movie prop DshK as you mentioned above. It looks as if they wrapped gaffer's tape on the barrel support of the M2 .50. Then they added a feaux gas tube and muzzle brake to the barrel. You'll also have to add that large AA sight to it. I don't know if anyone does it in PE or not, but it would be nice if they did.
PM me your address, by the way.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips mate !

PM sent.

Cheers

Paul
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
You can get an AA sight for a .50 cal from the Lionroar PE set for the Tamiya Type 90. While not exactly cheap just to get the sight perhaps you can get one from someone that didn't fit it since the Type 90 didn't always mount it. Or plan a Type 90 project and get the set so you can use it.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:00 AM UTC
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing...
I'm talking about the DshK AA sight, originally produced by the Chrysler Corp. incidentally.
I know DML have one in plastic in their Chinese Volunteers set, but I'm not sure if they captured the intracacies as well as PE might have:

Here's another still in the box. Hopefully I'll add it to the MG on my Ural after I get the mount for it:
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...and add either the old Lindberg (recently re-released by Italeri) Ti-67 parts, or the Trumpeter Ti-67 parts to it. The Trumpter T55 that it is based on is horrible.

The Ti-67 kit released by Italeri is the old Esci kit and not the old Lindberg kit. I do not believe the old Lindberg Soviet armor kits from the late 80s-early 90s (T-80, BMP-1, T-55/Ti-67) have seen the light of day since their initial release.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not believe the old Lindberg Soviet armor kits from the late 80s-early 90s (T-80, BMP-1, T-55/Ti-67) have seen the light of day since their initial release.

Thanks be to God that those molds remain unused or unlocated. That Lindberg kit was a turd, and comparing it gives a turd a bad name... This thead gives me a use for my still in the plastic Ecsi T-55 kit... Cool.

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Actually, Harbor Freight Tools of all places was unloading these kits by the caseload a few years back. No idea if they were reissues or leftover from the original production run.

And I won't make apologies for the Lindberg kit because it WAS a dog. It is ironic, however, that it was Sqadron's "kit of the year" in '89.
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 04:04 PM UTC
Interesting facts about the different kits (especially the bad ones).

Now I understand the Trumpeter T-55 & Ti-67 is bad. But where does it sit with the kits above ?

Cheers

Paul
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing...
I'm talking about the DshK AA sight, originally produced by the Chrysler Corp. incidentally.
I know DML have one in plastic in their Chinese Volunteers set, but I'm not sure if they captured the intracacies as well as PE might have:

Here's another still in the box. Hopefully I'll add it to the MG on my Ural after I get the mount for it:

Wow mate ! A genuine DshK AA sight......nice !

Seeing this is a model of a "movie prop", I may just use this old kit I have., trying to make it look as 'nice' as possible.

Any idea though what needs to be changed on this kit to make it look like the Tank in the movie ?

Cheers

Paul

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
Well, here's the movie tank. Some screen grabs, hope it's OK to post 'em.
*Legal disclaimer - Photos for discussion only, from the movie 'The Beast' 1988 Columbia Pictures.

The Commander's cupola might be different too - can't recall what the kits are like off-hand.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP