_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Beginners
A good place to look if you are just starting out.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Secure model to base?
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hello all,

Well I am almost to the end of at least part of my OIF M2A2 diorama. I have just painted the base and I am wondering how all of you secure you vehicles to the base? I was thinking of using the Shepard Paine method of a screw through the bottom of the model and counter-sunk from the bottom of the base itself. But I wanted to see what other options there are out there.

TIA,
Chris

Hopefully I will have some new photos later tonight!
http://photos.yahoo.com/ctmi911
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
I have also used wire pins epoxied into tires. I haven't had much luck with wire hooks for tracked vehicles, or wrapping nylon thread around axles. The screw technique seems to work the best for most cases.
capnjock
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 03:54 PM UTC
Hello!

Never worked with armor before, but for 1/35 figs, I attach them to the base with super glue...For large figures, The screw method works for me..^_^ Just drill a hole into the figures feet and screw it to the wooden base...

Good Luck!
ctmi911
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the responses for far!

I do have one follow up, do you think that judges would mark me down for being able see the screw? I would use a very small one and place it in the middle, not a big deal I'm just curious...

-CT
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
I have used white glue, two party epoxy, wire wraps. The epoxy and wire are of course the most solid.

My gut tells me - yes the judges would ding you on it. There is a layer of 'who's' the judge, is it a local, region, national show??

If at all I would hide it. My wire worked well and I like it. Here's how I would do it. I would wrap the wire around the axle once forming a solid loop. Then have the wire straight down and mark guide marks for the holes. Drill the holes. Once the base is done insert the tie downs and twist underneith. You may need to route out a small recess for the wire.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:33 PM UTC
If it's a wheeled vehicle i meke holes on the tires, insert a pin in them and then make holes in the base too and glue them with epoxy. If a tank is involved and a nut/bolt cannot be seen I use these from the hull to the base, otherwise I do as Slodder pointed out wire from the tracks to the base glued with epoxy.
Ciao
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
I only glue them down, with super glue or white glue. I have never had any problems. I hope they would never get the abuse to dislodge them. For transporting I have a box and can build around the base with foam and secure the base instead ......... so nothing touches the actual dio. The foam absorbs any knocks as well. Works for me!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Epoxy or super glue has worked for years for me. Yes, a judge might gig you for seeing a bolt coming up through the ground. That also forces you to keep you ground work to an absolute minimum or have a very long screw/bolt. There's one other potential problem withthis method. You're dealing with a model whose suspension parts are thin, brittle plastic. Imagine your horro as you overtoque the screw that one extra half turn and your masterpiece now has snapped off wheels or the bolt head cracks the base. Renmember the old [b] KISS [/] principle, it almost always works best. :-)
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
White Glue on the contact points has always worked for me. I tend not to shake the hell out of my models, nor do I ever intend of tipping them upside down. When my models were traveling, I never once had anything come loose.
 _GOTOTOP