_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF M151A2 MUTT w/TOW 1/35 Academy
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
This is my IDF Mutt with Tow Launcher. I have some indoor photo as well as outdoor photos. I realy can't say wich ones look the best, you all jugde them.

Now outdoor photos:

seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Look Good
But I dont like the tiedown rope, it look wired, you should change for lead foil.
Concerning, the outside photo may be you should take it with the sun is at its zenith nevertheless the inside pictures are really nice.
Cheers
Seb
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 01:38 PM UTC
All of the photos are in good focus and I like the indoor photos the best.
Try taking a few out side photos in the shade with a reflector (white sheet or cardboard).
Your outdoor photos would look interesting if they were at scale eyeball level with an appropriate background slightly out of focus.
Then it would look like a real 1/1 scale vehicle because your paint is good.

Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
I will do that but to get the back ground in to focus is something I simply can't do, my camera is a Kodake easyshare Z710 Digital zoom. Here's a link of info on that camera:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092503kodakz710.asp
Any pointers will help out a lot. So shoot me some Info if you feel up to it
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 05:01 PM UTC
7.1 MPs, dang! That's a nice camera. I don't know more about this specific camera but I can post pics of a couple still photography set-ups this week.

Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC
Well I went back and made a new base for the MUTT I think it looks even better now.

The name plate is just a stand in till I get a better one.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:16 AM UTC
Looks great!!! I just picked up the kit and its by Acadamy. I have a few questions and hope you can give me some insight to help me with my build.

Did you airbrush or did you freehand paint the kit?
How did you weather your tires?
Did you secure the passanger seat or did you make it removable to show the detail of the battary case?

I hope to improve my painting on this kit since the detail of the plastic is great.

Any info would be great.

Sam
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great!!! I just picked up the kit and its by Acadamy. I have a few questions and hope you can give me some insight to help me with my build.

Did you airbrush or did you freehand paint the kit?
How did you weather your tires?
Did you secure the passanger seat or did you make it removable to show the detail of the battary case?

I hope to improve my painting on this kit since the detail of the plastic is great.

Any info would be great.

Sam

Well sam I'm happy to help in any way I can. ok first :QT:Did you airbrush or did you freehand paint the kit? I airbrushed the kit with dark olive drab, then a thin cote of light khaki. All Tamiya paints and I freehanded the paint chips.

Next :QT:How did you weather your tires? Well after painting them I hand painted the dark gray tire color. I then use Dry Soft pastels[Earth Tones] Now to build up the sand look in the treds I use tamiya thinner & hand painted or brushed it in the deep parts of the treds., then I would just press and role the tire through the pastel powder.

3rd :QT: Did you secure the passanger seat or did you make it removable to show the detail of the battary case? Sorry I did not but your idea is a real good one. I must do that on my next build. If you make your seats rear bar out of styrene with brackets like a lawn chair, you could make that jump seat fold forwards with out having to remove it all.
Now get out there and build something
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I just found this topic and wanted to add my 2 cents. This is a kit I built about 2 years ago, just a few months before Legend released its conversion set ...so the conversion to IDF Orev version was completely scratchbuilt...

Regards

Jiri
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply and that will help.

Did you prime it first with flat gray or flat black befor the OD green? Or did you go right to the OD green? Looks like you have some PE on it also. Did you make them from scratch or did you buy them?

You really opened my eyes to this project. I'm going to try the seat latch (scratch it) so I can show the battery compartment.

Sam
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:02 AM UTC
First :QT: Did you prime it first with flat gray or flat black befor the OD green? Or did you go right to the OD green?
Answer: I went right for the OD Green. I feel that the type of paint didn't need a base cote.

Comment & :QT: Looks like you have some PE on it also. Did you make them from scratch or did you buy them?
Answer: No PE used at all I cut up pieces of copper wire and pieces of sheet brass, see here. I'm going to show you all me progress pix.

I feel some times why buy, when you can make it your self.

Oh hold up a sec, you need to drill out the holes on your spair tire. If you want to.

Add tire stems or what they are commonly called air valves to your wheels. after you drill out the holes. Sorry I don't have a pix with the copper wire stems. But you can see them in the pix with the paint on them.

you may need to reshape this part like I have for IDF configuration.

Only do this if youplan on adding and engine. I goofed and glued the hood down. Don't work "when your sleepy"!!

Jump seat!

Spair TOW tub holders, I added the one on the 3rd level later in the build.

Give me a sec I need to go to the store, I'll be right back with more progress pix.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Looks great!!! You have really opened my eyes to doing some scratch building.

Sam
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:06 AM UTC
Me-sa back and yes there's more: Brass necklace chain for tow chain.

Radio antenna line, an yes it runs through the side to the antenna base.

At this point I stoped bcouse I didn't like the way the antenna base look so I made a new coiled one. It's just copper wire.

You can see the 3rd level Spair TOW tub holders in this shot as well.

From this:

to this:

Here's some work I did on rebuilding my M60 Assault rifle to IDF style.

One 1/35 M60 Assault rifle cut down a bit.

You would have to do a bit of sanding around the main hand grip, to reshape.

Painted with othere items.

one last thing you need to know in the front you will need to add a sheet of styrene to cover the front of the axel. I left it off of my build , but I always can go back and add it. An way don't I
:0 dont know?

There are photos of it in my offline file I'll look for that photo and come back and post later.
Sorry if I misspelled any thing.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,
I just found this topic and wanted to add my 2 cents. This is a kit I built about 2 years ago, just a few months before Legend released its conversion set ...so the conversion to IDF Orev version was completely scratchbuilt...

Regards

Jiri

Say man that's one realy out standing build. How long ago did you build it.
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hello Captin,
thanks for your comment. I am glad you like it. Actually it wasn´t that tough to convert it. Only the (i think) commander´s seat took some time. The worst of all and most time consuming was to get the reference on this vehicle
Each of my kit takes between 4 - 6 months and this one was no different.

Regards
Jiri
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 01:25 AM UTC
I'm glad that this post is still up as I need to make more of those 1/35 M60 Assault rifles for my Mk.IIID/Mk.IV builds. Thanks every one for your comments and help on this fun project.
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 07:12 PM UTC
Ok all you "MUTT" fans I'll be starting my next build on this realy cool little vehicle. The next subject will be the M151 MUTT/Tow Support vehicle. I had two Tamiya kits back when I started this mutt/tow project. An I wanted to build them at the same time to save time but my love for that "Futuristic" looking tank the Merkava took over and I just had to start it at that time. Now that I'm near the end on my Merkava project I feel I can build my little support unit wile work on that M113 APC. The APC has mor stuff done to it and I will be posting those photo as soon as I can.
Now I realy am fighting with my self on one of my othere projects a 99% scratch built WWII Panzerwerfer., but don't think I woll stop me from starting my next M151 project.
Now I do have a three othere tanks to build and these are the Mk III or Merkava Namera ARV by Legend, Merkava Mk. IV by Academy, 80% scratch build Mk. IV Namera APC. Now I hope when I start that build that Legend will not have a conversion set out., but you now how it is some times when you think you have a hook on something some company comes out with at kit. Well any way I also want to scratch build the first Namera ARV with the large crane based on a Mk.II or Mk III chassis. Well all these projects are going to take a lot of time so now you all know just what I have on tap so fare as up coming projects.

Later and thanks for looking in on my projects from time to time.
 _GOTOTOP