_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
AFV club Wiesel 1 TOW
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
I just picked up the very nice bantam sized West German Wiesel by AFV Club. The directions give FRG markings and markings for the UNITAF in Somalia. The directions say it took part in the rescue mission in 1993. They also state that the US purchased both variants of the Wiesel, so I don't hold much weight in what they say. I may try an all white UN version. Does anyone have any hints on doing an AFV in all white (I mean besides winter whitewash)?
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 12:58 PM UTC
Rob
I picked one up at a toy show last fall. I plan to do the all white UN version. I know that some Canadian M113's were painted a temporary white when serving with the UN. I recieved pics from an APC driver of his vehicle. It looks like a WW II winter whitewash job that is showing wear. (got the pics for my UN M113 that you kindly provided the light for, still in the works). I haven't seen any pics of the Wiesel in UN colors yet. Let me know what you decide to do.
Chuck
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 01:05 AM UTC
I've had success with airbrushing White over a basecoat of Flat Black and Grey with success. I've tried White over the new Tamiya NATO Black, and it looks nicer than the above basecoat colors because of the 'softer' transition / contrast between it and White in the way I paint my models.

Gunnie
maxpain
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC
Heya Sabot

I have the same model on order.. + some photo etch stuff for it from Eduard
I like it.. its a funny little tank and I've actually seen it in real life.AFAIK there is the 20mm version, TOW version and HOT version of the Wiesel 1 and meanwhile there is a Wiesel2 in many other variants.. also a SAM version with 4 stinger pods.. command version etc..

The success of this vehicle is its light weight (helo transportable) and mobility.
I dug up some pics for ya.. I have more but wasn't able to upload those because of file size limitations.. let me know in case you want them and I email you...

Cheers

_GOTOTOP