Hosted by Darren Baker
European train station
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
Yes, there is a plaster kit of one out there, but I find plaster unsuited for my building dioramas, it being too brittle and heavy.

I do want to build one, preferably one likely to be found in a suburban or rural area. I deliberately want it to look like one that could be found anywhere in Central Europe, if there is any standardization to their design, and prefer a building in stucco or stone or wood, brick walls not being readily available in 1/35 scale. Does anyone have more information? Thanks.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
Tom, no real info on kits ........... but if you feel scratchy here's some real deal stations in Belgium. You can read some of the town names on the stations others I can't place at the moment.
Good luck - Glenn

long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 08:40 AM UTC
Wow, what a response! Thanks!

And yes, I figured I'd end up having to scratch or convert something.
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:06 AM UTC
Tom, Check out hansa systems ,individual styrene bricks you can build anything you want they also have doors,windows, cinder blocks and a whole host of other components, i used one of their kits in the last dio, i built.i just changed it as i went to suit the type of bld. i needed.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom, Check out hansa systems ,individual styrene bricks you can build anything you want they also have doors,windows, cinder blocks and a whole host of other components, i used one of their kits in the last dio, i built.i just changed it as i went to suit the type of bld. i needed.

Double wow! Wish I knew about this company a long time ago.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 06:36 AM UTC
I have a question about the train stations themselves...

In my hometown, there is an old former railroad station building (transported and relocated to a new location) which, when originally built, had a stationmaster's apartment on the second floor, and the waiting area consisted of two separate rooms for the men and women, as the men could be too vulgar for the company of ladies. Did Europe follow the same practice, at least early on?
Oelfass
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
No, there were no separate waiting rooms for men and women. However, there were often separate rooms for the various ticket classes, usually 2nd and 3rd class, with only the largest stations having 1st class waiting rooms, as only the richest could afford such a ticket. Small rural stations, however, often had only a single room for waiting, if any at all.

BTW, for German train stations, take a look at this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Train_stations_in_Germany

However, note that there are some architectural differences in the different parts of Germany. In a nutshell, Northern and Eastern Germany preferred brick, while the southern regions used limestone, sandstone or just plain wood.

Best Regards,
Philipp
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the help!

All I need is to know how the insides are, as I wanted to show part of the interior of one.
 _GOTOTOP