Hosted by Darren Baker
Any references for the IDF M151 Shmira?
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:24 PM UTC
I'm trying to figure out how the engine bay should look. Is the bay interior the same color as the exterior?
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi all

need some help with this. I'm planning a diorama showing the shmira after it's done a landing over rough terrain at high speed and has landed first on one of the rear wheels.

1. Are there any reference photos of how the suspension would work when this happens?

2. Are there any photo references of the dashboard? The academy instructions show the dials, but is the panel they're set into the same color as the rest of the body?

3. What are the levers next to the driver for? I know the long one's the gearshift, but what are the other two?

4. Academy doesn't show where the mounting post for the rear MG goes. Where should I attach it?

5. I saw a very nice buildup at http://70.86.163.186/gallery/4036 . However, are the seats correctly painted, or should they be khaki as in academy's instructions?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:06 AM UTC
At least you'll find some IDF M151A2 pics on Sentinel website showing the dashboard (you can also check out these photo albums on Flickr for more A2 pics if need be ) here :
http://www.mheaust.com.au/IDF/Walkaround/MUTT/M151a2.htm

Sorry I can't help you with the other questions

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 01:43 AM UTC
"...bay interior the same color as the exterior"

Yes, its all the same color.

"1. Are there any reference photos of how the suspension would work when this happens?"

Just like any other vehicle, the wheels go up into the wheel wells when the suspension compresses. Cut the rear springs down and the suspension will look compressed.

"2. Are there any photo references of the dashboard? The academy instructions show the dials, but is the panel they're set into the same color as the rest of the body?"

The dack is all the same color, only the gauges are colored, as the decals show.

"3. What are the levers next to the driver for? I know the long one's the gearshift, but what are the other two?"

The other two levers are for the transfer case and the parking brake . One shifts between 2 and 4 wheel drive, both high and low, and the other is a hand set parking brake.

"4. Academy doesn't show where the mounting post for the rear MG goes. Where should I attach it?"

You are supposed to drill a small hole and mount it where you want. The vehicles were not very standardized, juts put it where it looks best.

"5. ...are the seats correctly painted, or should they be khaki as in academy's instructions?"

The seats can be khaki, od, or any variation of sandy-brown-green color. Some had black vinyl civilian ones installed too.

As a note, if you are building the Academy M151A1 Shmira straight from the box, it is incorrect. The IDF didn't use any M151A1 models. They had all M151A2 models. The A2 has different front turn signals with modified front fenders, different rear turn signals and a few other differences. The best bet is to get the Academy or Tamiya M151A2 model and add the Shmira parts to it. The model you have linked to is a correct M151A2 Shmira.

ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
Thanks for all the help. Can I know if the Shmira M151 had 4-wheel independent suspension?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the help. Can I know if the Shmira M151 had 4-wheel independent suspension?

Yes, M151 has4-wheel independant suspension.
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 09:18 PM UTC
My current progress.

I'm trying to figure out how the axle would shift up when moving over rough terrain, as from what I see there isn't much distance it can travel before hitting the wheel arch.
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 01:59 PM UTC
OK.. more progress.

I was referring to Cookie Sewell's review and this paragraph specifically:

Quoted Text

Alas, Academy has included a near-verbatim copy of the old Tamiya suspension from the A2 kit that is totally wrong for this vehicle. They have retained the too-short springs so the vehicle sits with the tires rubbing the fenders, whereas there should be about 4" of daylight under the fronts and 6" at the rear on an unladen vehicle. Also it is missing the tie rods and pitman arm for the steering linkage. It constantly amazes me when a major company will spend this kind of tooling effort to create a new kit and then skimp on research and simply copy an existing product, even when it is known to be totally wrong.

So I think that'd mean the front wheel needs to be around 2.9mm below the front fender, and the rear wheels 4 mm below. I made some new springs but now I don't really know how the other suspension parts should work, since the additional spring length prevents the suspension arm from interlocking nicely with it.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 04:39 PM UTC
The M151A1 kit has an A2 suspension. Check out Pawel's article on correcting the suspension.

As noted earlier though, the IDF didn't use M151A1s, so you are inaccurate from the start. A better idea is to start w/an Academy or Tamiya M151A2 and add teh Shmira parts to it.
ricohdvdr6
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
Thanks for all the help. Would like to know how to correct the A2-type suspension anyway.. besides lengthening the springs what else would I need to do? Online reference photos of the underside are rather hard to come by.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 01:36 AM UTC
The suspension is correct for an A2, just too low. All it needs is about 1mm added to the rear. It is incorrect for an A1 though.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 07:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As noted earlier though, the IDF didn't use M151A1s

That's not true, they had some, just not in any numbers compared to the A2. .

I have to concur with Gary...a big misconcepton is they only used A2 versions... see picture below (note M151 on far left). I think i had pulled this from Corbis many years ago.
Granted, this is the only picture ive come across so far of an Israeli A1, but i have seen a huge amount of A2s (in a lot of different configurations)

Photobucket
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...reference photos of the underside are rather hard to come by.

I've got several that you may or may not find useful. Send your email address.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
You can also take a look here for some Shmira pics showing the suspension clearance :
http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/3715.html?p=3&pm=l&tc=106&tt=1155814113
http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/3716.html?p=1&t=2

Frenchy
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 10:47 AM UTC
I agree with the fact that IDF have used A1's in small numbers, but they seem to appear around 1967. My guess is that they are ex-Jordan vehicles put in Israeli service.

The pics I have seen (and have saved) are the one posted above, wich I think is from -67. If one zoom in on the picture it seem painted in a darker yellow/sand color than the other jeeps and has green fields aswell. Jordan cammo?

Two pictures of an M151A1C (without the RR) taken -67 (can't find the other one).

It looks like the are some dark (green?) fields on the fenders. Jordan cammo?

One in a convoy, again -67.

Hard to tell, but doesn't it seem to have a darker yellow/sand paint and a dark field over the grill/bumper. Again: Jordan cammo?

An finally the Jordan-cammo M151A1C with an M51 in the background.

Anyone ever seen an A1 after 1973?
/E
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

As noted earlier though, the IDF didn't use M151A1s

That's not true, they had some, just not in any numbers compared to the A2. Asyou point out, the A1 and A2 had different suspensions, and the Academy kit is flawed in that respect.

I guess they did use some M151A1s then. What I meant was that I have not seen any in the Patrol or "Shmira" configuration. They came later and were on M151A2 chassis.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
check out this picture i found... a M151A1C in israeli service...i had no idea!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eQNPu6zzxaU/SSrtLDMmlTI/AAAAAAAAFr0/J0BeNiS45NE/s1600-h/sherman+6+days+w.jpg

andy
 _GOTOTOP