Hosted by Darren Baker
Finishing up the Albatros diorama
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
Armorama: 1,975 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 01:09 PM UTC
I refined the burn on the wings a bit by burning closer and not leaving too much overhanging fabric.Although it is not very visible in this pic I added a little green grass stains to the wingtip.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 01:56 PM UTC
Another pic
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2008 - 05:41 AM UTC
The wrecked Albatros ,although not quite finished has been about a six month project from concept to almost completion.It has been a very rewarding and fun experience that I would recommend to anyone.I really enjoy the freedom of using mixed media or whatever is at hand to tell my stories.My motto of "buying what you can and building what you must" really satisfies both the scratchbuilding urge and the use of kits.It is a nice compromise of time available and completion of a project in a reasonable time.
The three dioramas that are now almost complete have taken almost ten years to build and I would say that you could triple that time to scratch build it all.Granted that as I get older I don't spend quite as much shop time as I used to but still I am in my shop just about everyday.I am a very lucky man as my hands and eyes are still hangin in there.
Vacations?everyday is a vacation for me and besides my beloved 14 year old Husky( Dolly )won't let me or my wife out of her sight nor will she travel, so going anywhere together is not an option for us at this time.So,all in all,it works for me.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:35 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:45 AM UTC
Funny how it goes sometimes,without even thinking it through, I decided to try to make the inspection holes and engine vents in wood and have them look like metal.Well after working a day and a half or so ,carving ,shaping,painting and playing around they still looked bad.Then I thought,if there was a fire burning on the other side of this plywood cowl wouldn't these holes be the first thing to burn ? So I ripped it all off and got out my trusty woodburner and in ten minutes made a few holes.Perfect! wish I had thought of this in the first place.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2008 - 11:51 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC
Another pic.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:42 AM UTC
The aft section of the fuselage now rests on the wheel of the U/C, with the other point of contact at the leading edge of the lower wing and horiz stab.The clothes peg joining the 2 halves will be replaced with the elevator and rudder control wires.Although somewhat extreme in its presentation, it leaves no doubt as to what it represents, a hurried and forceful attempt to rescue a pilot who's aircraft is already on fire.Chances are that if I had just broken the fuselage ,at this its weakest point,this aspect of the story may have been lost.The more intense burn area where the elevaltor meets the lower wing also suggests that the fire took hold after the aft section was placed there and not for some other reason like transport of the wreckage.
I know,I know most will say that this will probably all be lost on the average viewer ,but you got to admit that it is a lot of fun creating a little mystery in your work,especially for those who may care to analyze things a little more carefully.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 12:04 PM UTC
Another pic.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 05:42 PM UTC
apsolutely stunning work. i think this is a fantastic example of fine workmanship. thank you for sharing.
-Mike
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:56 AM UTC
Another pic.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC
You are welcome Mike and thank you! Happy New Year. Cheers. John.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
Nails and screws!
This is a boring but necessary job.I used a pin to open holes ,then twisted in a bit of graphite from an HB pencil,then placed a drop of water over that to swell the wood back to level.
The pattern I got from pics of the real thing and Mark Miller's great work.I have noticed that the holes are not always evenly spaced nor exactly in precise rows on surviving aircraft.When factory fresh I do not know.I decided to go with the used look as it fits better into the overall weathered scheme of things.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:47 PM UTC

Absolutely incredible work John. Not only have you captured a very interesting (not to mention difficult) scene but you've executed it brilliantly. As a longtime sufferer of the the dreaded "not knowing when to stop" syndrome I can relate to your wondering whether or not to add anything more. Just my opinion but it looks balanced right the way it is now.
My hat's off to you for such an interesting piece. Great work.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
A New Years personal reflection.
About 10 years ago I decided to drop one passion and start another.
Starting all over again seemed like a big decision at the time.I loved carving decorative birds and even taught it part time to adults for 11 years.While I reached a certain level of expertise and really enjoyed the subject matter I always felt a little uncomfortable filling these artistic shoes.I found that I seemed to be always playing catch-up to the leaders in the field.Following their example and doing knock offs of their ideas.Call it ego or whatever but I wanted to be one of those guys that I so highly admired.
Then I heard of a fellow decorative bird carver who was at the top of the genre and very successful both artistically and money wise.He had years of commissions in front of him but was also dissatisfied and felt that he was stuck in a rut.Then he made the unpopular decision(with his family and fans) to turn away from woodcarving forever and follow a new passion of doing mammals in bronze.He changed his style from very realistic bird carver to a looser style of mammal sculpture.He dropped everything and took a year or so traveling and visiting zoos etc..to get a feel for his subject matter and study their behavior.
He then returned to his studio and started his first bronze of a chimpanzeze which he promptly sold to Jane Goodal the very well known anthropologist and now is even more successful and happier than ever for having followed his dream.
Well,I found that a very inspiring story that helped push me into following my dream.After a near-death medical treatment ten years ago I thought well it is now or never.My passion had always been aviation and flying which was really not that far a step away from the birds themselves.My whole life was deeply involved in one way or another with aviation and it was what I knew best.My path had always been there in front of me all along.It had not always been an easy path to follow and involved a lot of personal pain.
An only survivor of an airplane accident 50 years ago,PTS syndrome and the subsequent loss of my flying career are but a few examples.But my love of aviation and flying never ceased.That is where airplane modeling and storyboard dioramas come in.Much like my fellow bird carver ,turned bronze sculpturer ,I decided to drop the whole thing and try something new.I have now put ten years of concentrated effort into devoping the talents necessary to becoming a storyboard dioramaist and it is only now with my last project the wrecked Albatros have I become really comfortable with the term as it applies to me.It may be the subject matter that I relate to. It could be the finally feeling comfortable in the knowledge that if I really put my mind to it ,I can take a mental 2D image and translate that into 3D model given the availability of the time to do so.I know that I still have loads to learn down the road and art is never really finished but this new year sure has had a positive start for me.
Please forgive me for all this talk about myself but I thought that you guys and gals,my modeling buds, might be interested .Cheers and Happy New Year to all! John.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 06:17 AM UTC
Gettin' there!
All the brace wires are installed and just need a little final adjustment.The ailerons are rigged and today I hope to finish the elevator-rudder rigging and finally install the control column.
So now it is decision time again.Do I stop here as far as any other major components are concerned? When is enough ,enough? I will take a few pics and have to decide.There are a few odds and ends to rap up like the landscaping and maybe a small junkyard out back.I have also considered a couple of figures near the back door ,maybe mechanics taking a break for a smoke or some other relaxed activity.
All three dioramas are now 95% finished and almost ready for their new home.
I am anxious to get started on a new project, first building a small scale mockup of the "Backyard Flyer" ,a fantasy piece I plan to call "In Pursuit Of His Dream" based upon the 1/16th Wright Flyer(Model Airways) with a little Glenn Curtiss thrown in.Basically I want to put myself back in the pre-WW1 era and build my own "Flyer" using the knowledge available at the time.(I will try not to cheat)
These guys were the original EAA"ers long before the modern era.Aviation was young,new and exciting .Guys with no more than basic carpentry skills dreamed of taking to the air in their own backyard flyers.
There were plans available and the Wrights were even selling engines.I am sure that hardly any of these homemade craft ever took to the air but that is not important,this diorama will be about dreams and having fun especially for me,the modeler.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Another pic.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
Need help!
I need a little help from the car experts! For composition and balance I think that I need something in this area of the diorama.Obviously the car shown is the wrong era and scale but I do have a 1907 Rolls Royce touring car kit in 1/16th scale.
What I was wondering is there a possibility that some of these cars were imported to continental Europe prior to WW1? If so there is a chance that one of these cars could have been found on a German airfield during WW1. Most German pilots of that era came from the upper classes and were originally posted to cavalry units but as more pilots were required for the front they traded their horses for airplanes.If I were to use the Rolls I would of course weather it to make it better fit into its surroundings.
Another possibility would be to convert an old 1912 Ford car to a truck and use it instead but I sure do like the Rolls.In the absence of anything of German make from that era what do you guys think?
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:32 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC
As I did with the Ford T car to truck conversion in the 2nd diorama ,I will use the Rolls chassis and convert it into a airfield truck of no particular make.Although the first idea of using the car is plausible ,I think that a weathered truck in military markings would fit into the overall scene better and not take away anything from the main subject matter,the airplanes. Thank God that the left hand open hangar door is there to separate the dog part of the story from the rest, otherwise I would be very reluctant to do this.Should be fun!
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2009 - 03:08 AM UTC
Great work John, very intricate and detailed! Thanks for sharing with us something different. Absolutely stunning.

Cheers -
Tim
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:20 AM UTC
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada