_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Weathering in the desert
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 07:25 PM UTC
Well! i went and done it,after umpteen years of fig painting,i bought a kit,its an old Tamiya
one Panzer Kampfwagen11 Ausf.G.Dont have a spray gun so it should be interesting.
For a tank in N Africa where would the rust spots be if any,and what would the colour of the
leaf springs be.Any and all help welcomed,after all it was you lot that got me into this.When Jim gives me some album space in work in progress,you can all join in the comedy of errors
into the breach dear friends
Arthur :-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 10:50 PM UTC
Arthur,

I would recommend minimal rust. I lived 8 years in the Mojave Desert and vehicle rust was minimal to non-existant. However, put some light rust where you see it on construction equipment, most;y below the fenders, as recommended by Salt6, where rocks pitched by the tracks would completely chip the paint, exposing it to the elements. I believe the leaf springs would be same color as rest of vehicle, although a heavy wash will highlight the separate leaves and is correct in that dirt and grease settle in between the springs and often the hasty paint job these vehicles received did not reach between the layers of the springs. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 21, 2002 - 04:41 AM UTC
steve....Jeff,thanks for the info,Steve thats a handy site,cheers
Arthur :-)
 _GOTOTOP