Hosted by Darren Baker
CCKW-353 ,352 and Chevys
mudmarine
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:37 AM UTC
Just checking the local scuttlebutt to determine who the resident expert is on this subject. I am workings on a group of trucks using the old Peerless/Testors/Italeri kits and the new Tamiya kit.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:56 AM UTC
Most likely Jim "GunTruck" Lewis. He runs a gun truck site, www.guntruck.us, and does some amazing work on softskin vehicles. His tanks aren't too shabby either. He is one of the forum moderators here and you can contact him by clicking on his name on this page.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 02:36 AM UTC
Ola Mudmarine - what in the way of information are you seeking on these fine trucks?

Gunnie
mudmarine
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Sabot and Guntruck thanks for your replies. I would like to build a serie of military fire trucks based on the GMC and Chevy truck series followed by the series of fire trucks in the M-35 and M-54 series. I like to research the truck and then do a set of scale drawings that I can use and share with other modelers for their use . The problem I have run into is that I cannot find accurate infomation on these trucks. My current effort is a 110 QMC airfield firetruck. I hope to have photos and plans to share soon. Any help would be appreciated. :-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:02 AM UTC
Well, I do have TM's covering both trucks with some dimensions you'll probably need along the way. Sabot likely can find photo reference where I might not be able too quickly when you need it. Don't know where you are in the information gathering process - best just to drop a specific question/request and take it from there.

Welcome to Armorama!

Gunnie
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
g'day from down under. I have a large amount of info on GMC-CCKW 352 & 353 trucks. In TM9-2800 US Standard Motor Vehicles 1943 there is pics and general info about some
firetrucks including fire fighting trailers. I too am doing a line of GMC-CCKW trucks in 1/35 and will be releasing shortly a conversion kit for a radio/command body for the Tamiya kit. PM me if you would like the pages scanned & sent to you. :-)
mudmarine
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
Cliff,

I saw your excelent drawings of the wrecker and the beds. Great work.

I am trying to locate accurate information on the fuel tank for my GMC 352 SWB. I know the tank is mounted cross rail between the cab and bed and that the Spare tire carriers are mounted on top of that. I need pictures and dimensional details fof both of these items.

I know that the 352 and the Chevy both had 9 footbeds and most had 5 stakes and 5 bows
but I have seen at least on picture of a bed with only 4 stakes and bows. Is that accurate or was this maybe an inaacurate restoration?

Thanks

Gary
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
I will PM my e-mail to you. I do have most of the details & measurements for the tank as my next conversion kit will be for a SWB 352 for the Tamiya kit. I also have some close up detail shots of it.

Some of the tippers came out with only 4 hood bows but not many.
 _GOTOTOP